HF S100 manual controls at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 27th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Trustee

HF S100 manual controls

Just changed my HF10 for the above camera - and certainly not regretting it.
However, I'm just wondering what exactly the camera is doing in the manual exposure mode.
Say that I've chosen Av and set the exposure to f2.8.
If I've asigned the manual knob to exposure and increase or decrease it, what is it doing? The screen info says that it's set at f2.8. so am I in fact changing the shutter speed to compensate?
Likewise, in Tv mode with the shutter set at 1/50th, if I manually alter exposure via the knob, am I then opening or closing the iris?
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I noticed the same lack of info and believe that it is indeed either adjusting the shutter speed or aperture depending on the mode your in.
John Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You might try half-pressing the photo button (assuming the HFS100 still has one). That should display the current aperture and shutter speed. If neither are changing, then it might be adjusting the gain to achieve different exposure levels. It might also vary for different lighting conditions.

While I'm impressed with the Vixia line as a whole, I'm not impressed with the lack of display options. My Canon still camera has three separately customizable displays to choose from. With my HF10, it's all or nothing, and "all" doesn't even have everything I want, but lots I don't want.
Kevin Zibart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Zibart View Post
You might try half-pressing the photo button
That's not working Kevin, although what is nice is that it's now possible to cycle through various display options - including a full 100% view so you can see what might be outside of the area normally shown on the LCD. Especially handy if using a microphone or lamps near to the subject etc.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I assume it to be increasing gain via the internal processing, but don't know that for a fact

What I'd like to know is if there's truly any way to lock aperture while in Cinema Mode, I've heard people claim something like this but can't find it to be possible on my camera
Cris Hendrix is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders