Hind Sight is 20/20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #16
Regular Crew

When I first got my HF-S100 I was shooting in manual mode all the time. My last camera was a DVX100. But then I noticed I got better results by just shooting in auto. And the image is fine. The only situation I use manual for is low light. The HF-200 reportedly does a little better in low light. For my purposes, I shoot 60i always. I can deinterlace later for progressive.
David Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #17
Major Player

Yes, back in the day of the first 3 CCD cameras, we buy the camera, leave it on manual and never look back. Auto was garbage back then.

So that's what I did with this camera. Apparently maybe its so good with face detection and etc... that auto will be the best. I'll tinker with ALL the settings and test shoot this weekend.

I did have it on Programed Auto Exposure in manual, which should be the same as for auto though, but let's see if there is a real difference.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I don't think most of the consumer camcorders are going to do well in low light. What I found worked best for low light situations with my HF-S100 was Tv mode 1/30th and put on a tripod. Also I limit the gain to 6 which cuts down the noise. Even then I get some noise in darker areas. I then use Neat Video to eliminate any remaining noise. I haven't had the camera very long though. I keep experimenting.
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Ng View Post
Bingo, you need to know what you are doing with your camera.
I think you may have misunderstood. I am not concerned with the image my camera is producing. I love that. My concern was with the available methods of delivery.
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Lee Gordon View Post
I think you may have misunderstood. I am not concerned with the image my camera is producing. I love that. My concern was with the available methods of delivery.
You got that answered, right? You've got HD and you can output to SD DVD also.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Originally Posted by G. Lee Gordon View Post
------------

I think you are confuse about the delivery and not the format.

to deliver something in HD to a channel it will be on a tape like HDcam or even a HDV tape works...

if you cannot record your final on tape you can also give a DVD data with full res quicktime in it

A dvd video is a mpeg2 compression (and sd) that is not what channels use.

The cheap and simplest way is find a camcorder that can record back from your computer to a HDV tape you are in HD on a broadcast format

cheers
Olivier Jezequel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders