HV Loose Part Noise or Tape Mechanism? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV Loose Part Noise or Tape Mechanism?

I just got my HV40 today. I have not used it yet, but as I took it out of the box and was turning it upside down I could hear what sounded like a loose part. My camera does not have a tape in it or the battery installed. As I continued to turn the camera rightside up and upside down I started to suspect that this sound is coming from the tape mechanism and that the parts that are making the sound are meant to move around. Can someone verify this for me? I want to make sure nothing is wrong with the camera.

Thanks,
Hugh
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It is likely the image stabilization system. Saw this question a lot with the HV20. Once camera is fired up, it should not occur.
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Major Player

I'll bet Chris is right. This comes up a lot for folks with new Canon HV's.

Turn it on with the image stabilization on and I'll bet it will disappear. I have an HV20 and I don't even notice it anymore.

If you still hear it, then you'd better think about returning the camera.

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Problem Solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
It is likely the image stabilization system. Saw this question a lot with the HV20. Once camera is fired up, it should not occur.
I borrowed my friend's HV30 to test my theory that the sound coming from my new camera is not a broken part, but rather due to a moving part in the camera's tape mechanism. Without a tape loaded into the HV30 I turned it upside down and heard the same sound that was present on my new HV40. As I looked closer, I was able to see that the sound comes from part of the tape mechanism moving when there is no tape loaded in the camera. Since the sound was present in my friend's HV30, it seems my camera is not defective and this is a normal sound.

Thanks for both of your posts,
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Walton; August 17th, 2009 at 07:38 AM.
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders