Image Mixer not finding files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Image Mixer not finding files

With Canon HF-S10 when trying to download some files from a 16g card, Image Mixer says it can't find any files, yet they play back OK in camera. - Is this a new faulty card ?

I have tried turning the camera off & on a few times but always the same message.

Any suggestions please before I go back to tape ?

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Trustee

You may have the camera set to output files only from internal memory. There should be a menu item for this. Or you may have to have ImageMixer "navigate" to the external card slot. Your manual should explain this if you can find the right pages.

I have HF100s without any internal memory nor do I use ImageMixer for either transferring from the camera to the computer or for editing.

I pull the card from the camera and insert it into the SD slot on the 19-in-one media card reader (most modern computers will now read SDHC from the SD slot) and copy only the MTS files to a folder where I can start reviewing and renaming.

Software I use for editing is Pinnacle Studio 12 or Cyberlink PowerDirector 7 Ultra. I found ImageMixer "painfully" sluggish and awkward, the player is OK but now the free VLC player form VideoLan reads MTS files just fine.

I hope the above info helps you.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Many thanks Bruce.

I am on holidays, (in Vienna at present for 5 days), and have found this software to be quite painful. - Why on earth did a good company like Canon get involved with this piece of garbage ?

You're right about the player it seems to work but only plays one file at a time !! - You cannot select & play a series of clips. I am familiar with the camera & I definitely had the card selected as it was playing OK on the camera.

The problem I find with windows Ex. is that there are so many files & folders I don't know which ones to download. - You say to download just the .mts files but where do I find them & in what folder ? - As it is after midnight here & I will have another look tomorrow.

Thanks again.
RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Trustee

I forget the exact folder structure but in PRIVATE look at each folder as you "drill" down until you get to something like BDMV (or something like that) and keep "drilling down" into the structure until you get to a folder named STREAM.

The MTS files should be in that one.

When I used Pixela player I would copy the MTS files into a temporary folder on the computer C drive for review. As I reviewed them in the player I would rename the 0000.MTS to something that would ID the clip for me later in the editing process. Like on an old Texas fort project, Cav_Drills_001.MTS

In the Pixela player you can use the open file menu to rename the clip you are looking at even while it is open.

When done I would copy the renamed files to a project folder where I could navigate my NLE (editor) to in order to import and use the files.

Good luck.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders