underwater shooting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 26th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

underwater shooting

hi,

I am planing to buy a HFs11 or 10 and because i am planing a trip under the sun and water, i looked for a solution for shooting underwater.

i found this :
Cameras Underwater.

that seems very interesting, is anyone had experimented it ? because it is a quiet expensive camcorder and put it underwater make me laugh nervously in the same time that imagine what nice pictures i could get....

I also ear that if you shoot underwater you d better use a wild lense ???

thx
Olivier
Olivier Jezequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I haven't used one but have read about them. They're rated for 10m depth. Seems expensive for a high tech baggie. There are DIY versions on the internet. Some look pretty good.
David Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ewa-Marine

I've used an Ewa-Marine "bag" with my HPX170 and HVX200 cameras. As long as you're within a few feet of the surface, you should be okay. Any deeper than that and…

Just don't go any deeper than that.

If you're serious about doing real underwater shooting, invest in a real housing, something from Gates, Equinox or the like. They're built to go deep, and as long as you take care of them, they'll last forever.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You could also look at the Sony Sport Packs - good to about 17 feet, not a lot, but deeper you need filters, and you're actually diving, not snorkeling or splashing about.

Since Canon just introduced the LANC interface on the S11, it should be fairly simple to hack the Sony LANC interface of the sport pack into the Canon interface in the dedicated shoe - at least now there's something to hack to achieve the desired result!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

canon just released this housing... its for a different camera, it might serve you for what
your asking...

Consumer Camcorders - VIXIA High Definition Camcorders - Standard Definition Flash Memory Camcorders - Standard Definition DVD Camcorders - Standard Definition miniDV Camcorders - WP-V1 Waterproof Case - Canon USA Consumer Products
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks for the feed back,

i have looked for the case and some other things, all looks interesting.
But i have to admit that a "soft" housing seems interesting to me for the traveling, it will probably take less space in bag.

I don't think i will be further than 5 or 6 m with it, it is mostly for snorkeling and canoe.. fun holiday in fact.
That is quiet expensive for something that i will maybe not use a lot but it looks so cool :)

i will pop up in the shop they have over here and try to update the info

thanks
Olivier Jezequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The issue is that most folks don't understand that underwater equipment costs lots and lots
of $$$$$$.... the reason is that most of us don't shoot underwater and so there not a
quantity discount... most of the underwater housings cost much more than the camera
itself... thats why the Canon underwater housings for both still and video are a bargain....

the Sony Ex3 housing cost from $7000 to $11000 and thats before you add the lights and
the front port... a nice setup for a Sony EX3 housing with lights will run you about $20000.00
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders