HV20 Firewire capture issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
New Boot

HV20 Firewire capture issue

Hello. I'm trying to capture footage from an HV20 camera. For some reason, when I connect with Firewire Vista does not see the camera. At first I thought it was the camera but I tested it on an XP computer and it found it.

I tested my external HDD with firewire on my laptop's port and it worked fine. I have this same problem with Windows 7 too.

I even bought a firewire express card to capture with and even that didn't work.

What's going on?
Daniel Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

1. HV20 has two setting to download, one DV only, the other DV and HDV, with camera autodetecting. Make sure that is set properly.

2. If you are capturing HDV, you need to be sure your capture program actually captures HDV. Also, many programs will require you to select the capture source.

3. If you are sure it is HDV, and the camera is set right, try downloading HDV Split and see if it works in detecting camera, and for capturing HDV. If you camera is not set right to capture HDV, HDVSplit will say it can't find the camera.

4. If all else fail, try a different firewire cable.
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #3
New Boot

The cable's fine as I tested it on another computer and it found it immediately.
Old September 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Major Player

I had a similar problem with my firewire connection, but I knew the cause -- a tripped over cable pulled my camera off a table and damaged the port.

It cost $169 to have a Canon Service Center replace it and took about 10 days (including shipping time). I'm not sure if they only replaced the port or if there was something more inside that needed to be replaced. Either way, it works like a charm now.

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Vista Firewire

I have a Canon HV20 and HV40. Vista 64bit will not capture from either of my Canons. I pulled my hair out for two weeks trying to solve the capture problem.

I removed Vista 64 and installed the Vista 32bit, and I have never had a problem since.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #6
New Boot

I really don't want to go that method as I have 8 Gigs of Ram on this laptop.
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #7
New Boot

Well I put on Windows 7 32 bit. No dice.
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
I have a Canon HV20 and HV40. Vista 64bit will not capture from either of my Canons. I pulled my hair out for two weeks trying to solve the capture problem.

I removed Vista 64 and installed the Vista 32bit, and I have never had a problem since.
I'm using Vista 64 and it recognizes my HV20, Canon XH-A1, and a Sony HDR-HC1 fine so I don't think that is the problem.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Murray View Post
I'm using Vista 64 and it recognizes my HV20, Canon XH-A1, and a Sony HDR-HC1 fine so I don't think that is the problem.
I don't know what it could be then as the port on both my laptop and camera are working fine.
Daniel Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders