manual focus hfs11 help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

manual focus hfs11 help

Hiya,
I just got the hfs11, everything is going okay so far except for the manual focus.
i have tryed to use the custum thing in the front to make my picture focus or out of focus, but it keep jumping to a hardcore zoom each time i touch it, i cannot even see anything and cannot control the focal lens, thats very frutrating.
the only way i found to make this effect of going into focus is the joystick on the screen with manual control. it works but that's not very handy and i have to enter into the menus and sub menus each time....

how does this thing work ?? the doc just say nothing except to show the button..

thanks
Olivier Jezequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Trustee

You'll need to go into the menus and find Custom Ring. You can then assign it to focus or exposure as well as a choice of zebra,peaking etc.
If you choose Focus, you can then look in the menu for Focus Assist. That is what you are seeing when the viewfinder image is enlarged when trying to focus. It just gives you a tighter part of the frame to help focus. It will disappear if you move the zoom or go into record. In fact, when recording, the Focus assist is not enabled. If you don't like it, switch it off in the menu.
If you're not seeing a great deal of difference with the manual focus using the custom ring, that's because you need a lot of turns of the ring to pull focus from ,say, infinity to closer. The joystick is much quicker, but not so precise.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

btw, when turning the wheel, farther=down

I tend to use the on//off button of the custom wheel a lot -- poke it for quick AF assistance then back to MF.
Kevin Bjorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier Jezequel View Post
i have tryed to use the custum thing in the front to make my picture focus or out of focus, but it keep jumping to a hardcore zoom each time i touch it, i cannot even see anything and cannot control the focal lens, thats very frutrating.
To reiterate, it's supposed to do that. With focus assist on, whenever you manually focus you'll get a peaky zoom of a portion of the image, that way it's easy to tell whether edges are sharp and your subject is in focus. Personally, with the tiny screen, I find it impossible to manual focus without the assist.
Stuart Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

it is all make sens now :) thanks guys, i will try that this evening.
so there is no way to make the ring more sensitive like the zoom if it is a lot of turns to do ?

thanks again
Olivier Jezequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier Jezequel View Post
so there is no way to make the ring more sensitive like the zoom if it is a lot of turns to do ?
I wish!

Use a LANC remote.... :)
Kevin Bjorke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders