CANON HV40 auto iris at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Tourist

CANON HV40 auto iris

Hello
I am a new owner/ user of the Vixia hv40. I bought this camera for my school and students are working on shooting and editing their own projects. For the record I have found the HV40 to be a great camera so far.

I cannot seem to override the auto iris. Our work requires a lot of light changes and I need to be able to manually set the exposure. I have exhausted the manual and cannot seem to find out how to override the iris.

Can anyone help?
Thank you so much
Amy
Amy Albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Amy,

Click the center of the toggle at the back - it says SET on it. Click it down once so it says EXP. Click it up once more so the - and + turn white. You're now able to override the iris setting by clicking left or right. A trick to make sure you're not dipping into gain (thus adding grain to the image) is to push the PHOTO button behind the zoom rocker so you can see the fstop the camera is currently at. (There needs to be a miniSD card in the camera for this to work.) The goal is to keep the camera at f1.8 or smaller (more closed down). If you're adjusting the EXPosure to get a brighter image but the fstop is already at f1.8 the camera is adding gain. At that point its time to lower the shutter speed or add more light if you want the cleanest image.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Tourist

Joel,
Thank you so much for your help. We are slowly becoming masters. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it well.
Amy
Amy Albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

When I press the photo button, I just get the red flashing warning that I'm not in photo mode. When I go into photo mode, that button just takes a picture!

Jeff
Jeff Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

Do you have a memory card in the camera?
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

yes I do. This is very odd. Pressing the Photo button 1/2 way should produce the display discussed. But when I do that, I get a red flashing warning in the lower left corner of the display. Looks like a little red house with the word "off" on it. I just erased all the images on the miniSD card, and can take photos. Just can't do this technique in any mode.
Jeff Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Did you format the card It must be done in the camera
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Sounds like maybe you haven't enabled Simultaneous Still Image Recording in video mode (the default out of the box is off). It's accessed via the Function button. See pages 57-58 of the manual for details.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders