Transfer files with Canon HF20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
New Boot

Transfer files with Canon HF20

I just bought a Canon HF20, the book says not to transfer files directly from the computer, only use the canon Transfer Utilities software. I didn't really want to put the Canon software on my computer. I have Premiere Pro CS4 and will be using that to edit, has anyone transferred files just by copy and paste without a problem?
Glenn Oberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

See this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vi...chd-files.html
Kevin Bjorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Oberlin View Post
...has anyone transferred files just by copy and paste without a problem?
I don't have a HF20, but based on all the other Canons, by using their own transfer software you retain unique file names and meta data, so it's possible to better organise your clips.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with copying and pasting the files and they'll work just fine in your NLE, or when converting to an intermediary such as Cineform. Just remember to create a unique folder for each shoot or sequence and be careful not to overwrite the clips. I have never installed the Canon software (or any other) and just copy the files directly from the source.
Stuart Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
I have Premiere Pro CS4 and will be using that to edit, has anyone transferred files just by copy and paste without a problem?
I just purchased an HF S100 and use Premiere Pro CS4. I copied the files from the camera to my laptop hard drive and imported them into Premiere. No problems encountered.
Patrick W. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the info

I have had my HF20 for a couple of days now, I like it but I wish it was better in low light, is the HF S10 much better in low light? I have been thinking maybe it would be worth it to return the HF20 for the HF S10.
Glenn Oberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Glenn,
how did this story turn out? keep the HF20?

When you say 'better in low light' .... better than what? I've been happy with the HV20 (HDV) in low light. Any chance you can compare the two?

thanks,
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Tourist

I agree with you

Maybe Canon now has some effective software, but I think I'd avoid the software too, if I were you. I have the HG 20, which is HD based, and under Win 7 it's been a disaster. Transfer times are absurdly slow - a 2 minute clip might take literally 3 hours to transfer. So I've switched to using the SDHC card (class 6) to record data, and it works a charm - 2 minutes of video transfer in 21 seconds.

The Canon software for the HG 20, Pixela, was abandoned by Canon. Both Canon and Pixela say the only way to transfer data from the HG 20 now is to use Windows Live Movie Maker, which is a beyond terrible. It actually managed to mess up my computer so much that I had to uninstall it and do a system reset to get things back on track.

Use the SDHC cards and then make videos using Pinnacle, Vega, Power Director, or other program. That's the advice of a relatively uninformed person who is not new to video but is relatively new - so take it for what it's worth.

Biull Hansen

Last edited by bill hansen; February 12th, 2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: misspelled word
bill hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

What's the deal here

I know that all these Vixia devices have USB plug and when they connect to a computer, they appear exactly as an external disk. I don't have a Windows machine, but I tried once connecting a HF100 to it and it showed up as an E: drive. On a Mac, they just appear as an external volume on the desktop. Either way, you can access the entire file system there and copy files over the same way you copy files onto your USB thumbdrive.

I have never had the need to install that Pixela (disc package is still sealed), so I don't even know what it does and how it works. I do my stuff mostly in iMovie. That one time I tried it in Windows, I used Premiere CS4 (editing MTS files directly).

THe file system on these is FAT32; the USB connection makes them appear as external "mass storage". I can't think of any reason that would prevent you from manipulating the files the same way you manipulate Word, PowerPoint or JPEG MP3 files.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
I have had my HF20 for a couple of days now, I like it but I wish it was better in low light, is the HF S10 much better in low light? I have been thinking maybe it would be worth it to return the HF20 for the HF S10.
I have a HF s11, quiet poor in low light to my opinion. you get quickly a lot of grain, and more in photo mode
i think it will be around the same, maybe slidely better, think about sony if lowlight is your main concern, otherwise, it is fine
Olivier Jezequel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders