Problem on Sony Vegas Pro 9.0c at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Tourist

Problem on Sony Vegas Pro 9.0c

Hi.
I'm editing avchd files recorded with my Canon HF S100. Sony Vegas 9.0c makes a fast smart rendering proccess over the video (with no recompresion), until a reencode is needed (transitions). After that, the rest of the video is reencoded too. (very slow)

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.
Matias Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes, we do. Was that your question?
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Tourist

How to prevent unnecesary recompression after transitions?
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

We can't answer that question because the rendering is absolutely necessary on transitions. It's that way in every NLE ever made.
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
We can't answer that question because the rendering is absolutely necessary on transitions. It's that way in every NLE ever made.
I said "after" transitions..Perhaps this Vegas version needs a fix.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Sorry, but your wording was not very clear. "After transitions" could mean a number of things. After transitions are put on the timeline, after transitions further down the timeline, etc.

What transitions have you put on the timeline? Can you post a screenshot of your timeline?
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Tourist

I split de video file in Vegas. I put a transition effect (2 seconds duration)in the timeline between both segments.

Before rendering proccess gets the transition effect, Vegas doesn't recompress anything (Smart rendering) but transition. My question is: Why does Vegas remain recompressing all the video after transition??
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

To make it perfectly clear

So, for example, you have two clips. They are 35 seconds each. You create a cross-fade transition between the two clips, duration of which is one second (30 frames). When Vegas goes to render this thing, it zooms right through the first 34 seconds of the first clip (nothing to encode, just copy all data across), then slows down, renders the transition (1 second), then continues on to re-render the entire second clip of 35 seconds, even though only first 1 second of that clip has changed, and everything else is the same.

If this is the scenario, I can see why it happens. Since AVCHD is a long GOP codec, it creates keyframes every so often and all frames in between are interdependent. When you cut a keyframe out of that stream, all subsequent interdependent frames have to be re-rendered. The problem is, Vegas should be able to recognise where the keyframes are, and only re-render until the next keyframe.

It is possible, though, that Vegas is actually doing exactly that, but those keyframes are far between each other. AVCHD standard allows for keyframes to be 300 frames apart (10 seconds), so it is possible to find a situation where a cut (or transition) is made right after a keyframe, and the next one doesn't happen for the next 10 seconds, forcing a re-render of the entire segment.

I'm a Mac guy, so I don't have Vegas. Anyone with AVCHD experience with Vegas care to chime in?
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders