Canon USA Introduces New VIXIA Lineup - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 7th, 2010, 02:23 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin Kelm View Post
Why does an HD video camera need an 8.59 megapixel sensor?
For improved contrast (due to OLPF) and reduced artifacts (aliasing, mazing, etc.) In practice, these benefits depend on the quality of the DSP, which has improved over time.

Quote:
Given the trade-offs in sensor design, it seems like a 1/2.6 inch CMOS sensor that was only 2 megapixel would produce fantastic low light performance and provide all the resolution needed for 1080 HD.
Larger sensors produce better low light performance, but larger pixels (in the same size sensor) do not, so there would be no benefit. One common misconception is that smaller pixels lose light to the space "between the buckets" (i.e. lower fill factors), but in commercially shipping products (in this market segment) they have the same or better fill factor.

The total amount of light falling on the sensor is the same with either pixel size. When 8 MP is downsampled to 2 MP, the light from four tiny pixels is added up and comes out the same as if it was 1 large pixel.

The only time larger pixels have an advantage in low light is when they have less read noise (e-) per spatial frequency (e.g. resampled Nyquist of 10 lp/PH), but right now that only occurs in some large CMOS sensors (not 1/2.6").
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #17
Major Player

Kevin,

I have always thought that the video camera manufacturers should be concentrating on still capture that captures a real hi-res print usable file, instead of the still camera manufactures making still cameras that capture video.

For now (for me anyway), a good piece of video capture equipment is still more versatile than a still camera that shoots video. The right tool for the right thing.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #18
Major Player

I am very excited about the HF S21, now that it has a viewfinder and Native 24p. Does anyone know if Final Cut Pro will recognize and convert the Native 24p file to ProRes without issue?

I have a Canon HF100, and have been holding off upgrading but now may be the time.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #19
Major Player

I would think importing into Final Cut Pro will be the same as with all the other flash models. It will transcode to prores upon transfer.

I am heading out to Vegas for CES as I am shooting it for NBC. I will go to the Canon booth and feel these new cams out. I'll be shooting the show with my Canon XL H1S, so hopefully Canon won't mind me shooting some of these new cams :)

I'll report back sometime next week when I am back on my thoughts.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #20
Inner Circle

BTW, I asked the Canon pro video reps at CES about a large DvSLR sensor in a video cam and they said that it was the most asked question that they receive.

And the SLR reps weren't giving any hints about 24p firmware for the 5D2.

I asked a consumer camcorder guy about aliasing on the new Vixia - considering that it shoots high res photos as well as video. He gave a response, but my gut feel was that he was not technically knowledgeable. The jury is still out on the aliasing/resolution tradeoff.
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
BTW, I asked the Canon pro video reps at CES about a large DvSLR sensor in a video cam and they said that it was the most asked question that they receive.
I would expect the place to get an answer to that question would be NAB.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Exactly. I was asking them about what we might expect at NAB. I didn't expect an answer, of course. ;)
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
30p in a 60i wrapper is still native 30p. But 24p in a 60i wrapper is not native 24p. That's why there's a separate recording mode for native 24p in the HF S series camcorders. You don't need a special mode for "native 30p" though, because it's already native 30p.
30p in a 60i wrapper still gives you the goofy 4:2:0 interlaced footage like chroma sampling though, doesn't it?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post

And the SLR reps weren't giving any hints about 24p firmware for the 5D2.
The heck with DvSLRs! What's taking so long with the three 1/3" full raster CMOS AVCHD cams to replace the XL-H1 and HX-A1/G1??? (with the same level of customizable image acquisition control, but much better viewfinders and LCDs of course!)

:)
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Why does an HD video camera need an 8.59 megapixel sensor? Given the trade-offs in sensor design, it seems like a 1/2.6 inch CMOS sensor that was only 2 megapixel would produce fantastic low light performance and provide all the resolution needed for 1080 HD.
Only 2 million photosites with in a Bayer mosaic implementation? That's not enough luminence resolution for 1920x1080 video.

The 8MP sensor is a Bayer sensor, which means 1/2 of the photosites are green, 1/4 are blue and 1/4 are red. At slightly more than 8 Megapixels, this sensor provides a full resolution luminance signal. Other full raster 1080p sensor implementations include 3 chips, which amount to 3x1920x1080= ~ 6 Megapixels, although with full color resolution for each pixel position. It's about time camcorder manufacturers weren't shorting us on color resolution for single sensor implementations. Hopefully, the HDMI will output 4:2:2 or even 4:4:4.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Release Date???

Any hard dates for release -- other than some time in April?
Paul Chiappini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Amazon has it at April 15th.
Dan Munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Amazon has it at April 15th as an arbitrary number, that's all. They don't know when in April either, so they're listing the middle of the month as an estimate only. The actual initial shipping date has *not* been announced yet.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #29
Trustee

So what 58mm thread wideangle lens do folks recommend as "best bang for the buck" for the HFS Canon's? (Better wideangle is the one feature that has me looking sideways at the new Sony's ...)
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I'm just happy (overjoyed, actually) that they had the good sense to bring back LANC.
Hear hear! Now, can we have an HV40 Mk2 (HV50?) with LANC and Ext Mic input as HDV's last hurrah? If so, I'll have two: one to use now and one to tuck away for later, in the hope of extending the life of my DV and HDV tape archive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders