Screen Grabs HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Screen Grabs HV20

Some screen grabs from the feature I'm working on. Shot with the HV20. Impressions? Anything you would do to improve the color correction?

Old January 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Matthew,

I'm not sure what you are asking for - are you asking for feedback on "the look" you've chosen, or do you want suggestions on how to fix it? Your post isn't clear.

IMHO, the images look bad and color correction in post may not be able to fully salvage them, it's best to manual WB the camera before shooting

Jeff
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, thats basically what I was looking for, feedback. The images were white-balanced, that was more of a style choice... but you may have just encouraged me to rethink it... maybe I'll get the originals up here for viewing.

I've been using the three way color corrector which is why it probably seems a little warmer... I've got the midtones toward yellow and the shadows closer to teal/blue. I'll probably play with it a bit more... you weren't very clear as to why you think it looks "bad" other than the color balance. Any other opinions?
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Matt, these images look way too red. Everyone looks like they were just slapped in the face. Plus, IMO, I would never add any color to the blacks. Black should be black. Take the red/orange out those midtones. All depends on the genre (comedy, drama, horror, etc...). But I would say that red wouldn't be flattering to any project.
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. Though, I'm not going for a summer blockbuster look... I've been trying to mimic this tutorial somewhat.

Creating a Summer Blockbuster Film Look : Red Giant plug-ins Tutorial

Also... I'm color blind (not full greyscale color blind, just slight), so... it may account for why I don't see those images as red as you guys are making them out to be.

Update: Thanks guys, I started working the colors again and I think I'm liking it a lot more... looking at the before and after I can now see how it was too red before. I'll try to post some updates when I get a chance.

Last edited by Matthew Overstreet; January 7th, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Major Player

For what its worth my HV gives fine colour on AWB and outdoors the daylight and AWB settingS are as good as manual any day, also if if the colours are good i never see the point of colour correction which i know a lot do simply because its the thing to do,i think the stills look far to red for me.Just my take anyway.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders