Seeking Advice on Another Camera NOT a HV40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 8th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Seeking Advice on Another Camera NOT a HV40

Hi friends...

I currently have a HV30 which i love. I use it primarely as my travel camera and a "b" roll to my Canon GL2.

I would like to get another HD camera similer to my Canon HV30, but am looking at the SD capture workflow.

My needs are simple for this camera...

I want High Def

External Audio Plug in

Hot Shoe for accessories

This camera will be used to shoot quick 30 second engine reassembly videos.

Im a lil paranoid about going away from tape as I just had a catastrophic failure not long ago and lost my data, but was able to recapture from my original DV tapes... so i thought why not start out with a new format this way.

I am not crazy about the cameras with Hard Drives as i can forsee problems in the future

I am Currently contemplating the VIXIA HF200

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by David Ruhland; January 8th, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Major Player

I have two HV-30s. A few months ago, I bought a used XH-A1 in the classifieds section of these forums, and couldn't be happier. The XH-A1 allowed me to build on it's similarities to the HV-30. It has the XLR inputs, good glass, plus I love the Canon wide angle lens I bought with it. The controls are nicely placed, the three rings, all the buttons. You have the option of custom presets. Plus, the public sees it as a serious camera, and you as a serious camerman. Read the XH-A1 forums. A used XH-A1 in good shape is a real bargain. In fact, I plan on getting another as soon as the budget allows.
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Roger:

The XH-A1 would be perfect for me and is on my list. I just dont have the 3k right now to purchase one. But someday I will have one! I think it operates much like my GL2.

tapes have thier pros and cons. every now and then i need to shoot a short 30 second clip that someone needs immediately, thus the reason i am contemplating adding a small Vixia HF200 or similer to my arsonel.

I envy your XH-A1!
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Take a look at an HF S100/S10 or an HMC40 (which is deceptively even lower costing than the already low price on the tag, when you factor in the free copy of Edius Neo 2 and a free Blu-Ray player Panasonic is currently giving away with it). Both of those cams are capable of recording stunningly detailed images.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Major Player

..and why not an HV-40?
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Richard,

I have nothing against the HV40. I want to test the waters of the FLASH format. Sometimes i need to shoot a quick 30 secs video for a client.

I currently have 2 cams that are mini DV format...my next prosumer will be a Canon xh-A1 so i will still use the DV format. Does this make sense or am i rambling here?
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Major Player

OK - so it has to be SD cards. Take a look at the new consumer camcorders Canon just announced.
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

There have been a few HF100s for sale in the classified sections lately (full disclosure: one of them is mine). If you don't need the latest and greatest, they're a great little camera and run off SDHC cards.

Otherwise, I second Richard. Anything in the new VIXIA line will suit you fine.

In any case, make sure you have the computer hardware to support the new codecs. I know a lot of people can't edit this footage natively and have to transcode beforehand. That usually takes just as long (or longer) than capturing from tape.
Nate Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Major Player

One of the nice features of the HV40 is that the Codecs are identical to the XH-A1s. It is wise to understand the Codec issues before you buy anything.
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Morse View Post
I know a lot of people can't edit this footage natively and have to transcode beforehand. That usually takes just as long (or longer) than capturing from tape.
I haven't tried transcoding AVCHD to Cineform's codec yet, but if it can't be done faster than real-time with an i7 already, it won't be long until we do have mainstream CPUs that can do it.

Also, with Edius Neo 2.5, dropping AVCHD right onto the timeline and editing natively is quite reasonable now (even with a relatively modest quad core CPU). I doubt it will be all that long until most major NLEs can handle AVCHD almost as well as HDV.
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Edius Neo 2.5 might be the best kept open secret there is for an NLE. At under $200, it's a very capable NLE for many mainstream purposes. It's certainly not a toy, like some of the cheap NLEs out there.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
One of the nice features of the HV40 is that the Codecs are identical to the XH-A1s. It is wise to understand the Codec issues before you buy anything.
This is a GREAT POINT! I have an HV30 I use as the 2nd cam, which I believe is cursed! It rarely leaves the house, meant only for small 2nd cam shoots. I had maybe 5 hours shooting time logged on it this entire last year. When not in use, it's in its pelican hardshell / foam case. One day it just decides to not turn on! No power, regardless of battery or AC outlet. Send in to Canon, $243 later, it's repaired and turns on. Now I discover an issue with a yellow line on far left of screen being recorded when I get it back. Only visible during capture, not on camera's LCD screen...so here's me, recording away, not thinking anything is wrong. They think that's a bad CMOS sensor. Now it has to go back to Canon again. Luckily I decided to capture some footage last night or I would have never seen this issue...and I have a shoot on saturday!!! I had to buy an HV40 today with money I don't have. I don't want to trust this HV30. Something is wrong with it. I use only Canon and all the ones I had came with issues.

My point to this is I was thinking of tapeless or Sony...but different codecs, tape speed, etc. would have been an issue.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
I haven't tried transcoding AVCHD to Cineform's codec yet, but if it can't be done faster than real-time with an i7 already, it won't be long until we do have mainstream CPUs that can do it.

I doubt it will be all that long until most major NLEs can handle AVCHD almost as well as HDV.
I'm an I.T. guy, been working with pc for YEARS. Your statement above is the reason I switched to mac. Never thought I would see the day, but it's so much better for the arts...photo, video and audio production (multi track.) There is no pre rendering...it just works great.

I had a quad core pc with 6 gigs ram that was smokin' fast! AVCHD files choked it and took forever to render before I could edit! My core 2 duo imac with 4 gigs ram edits fast with no pre render, isn't even phased. That quad core was sold a month after I got the mac.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders