HV-30 Helmetcam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 1st, 2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Major Player

HV-30 Helmetcam

after viewing a ton of shaky/compressed/jello footage online, i decided to NOT buy an 'affordable' little helmet cam, and instead built a quick-release mount on a helmet for my HV-30. it is a little heavier than i would like with the WA lens, but it seems to work well on roads with a bike.
the quick release is a Merlin tripod mount and the hood is the rubber bottom from a cheap plastic coffee bodum (more solid, protective and aerodynamic than the XH-A1 hood i used before). one strap goes under the chin, and i added two other adjustable straps that loop under my armpits to help stabilize the helmet. i think this would be really smooth on a motorcycle.
Problems:
i don't think riding trails would be great as even minor bumps on a smooth road seem to amplify through the camera, and due to the weight issue.
i also wish the WD-43 had threads for a protective filter... kinda ridiculous it doesn't!
also, after an hour, it is a bit of a pain in the neck.
i think it is too bad there is no middle ground between the contour/hero cams and the $ony cam, but for now, this will hopefully take some interesting footage.
Attached Thumbnails
HV-30 Helmetcam-helmetcam.jpg  
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders