HF S10 Close up problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 24th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Tourist

HF S10 Close up problem

I have an online pearl jewelry site that I am wanting to produce some product videos for. I have some good lighting but am still having trouble getting what I feel are great close ups for pearl jewelry. Is there a special lens or additional equipment I should be considering to get really stunning videos? Perhaps a wide angle macro lens?

I find that I have to keep the camera about 2'-3' away to get it to focus correctly and I have to enable the zoom feature.

Also any tips for settings on this camera would be appreciated. I am a complete novice and purchased it really for this one purpose.

An example of the type of videos I am after can be seen here: http://www.ice.com/earrings/pearl-ea...epy_102975.jsp but I was hoping with a HD camera to produce more vivid quality.
Bruce Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Tourist

Try using the following:

Telephoto mode
Set the white balance to tungsten
Make sure there is plent of light on the jewelry

In the video you linked to the shot with the jewelry on the rotating wheel had a lot of light on it.

Another thing you may be able to do in post with your existing footage is bump the contrast up a bit. And/or if you have an RGB curves option you could bring up the curve up a bit on the master channel. That should really make the colors pop more. Just don't get crazy with it or you will bring up the video noise as well.

That's really all I can say generally.
Christopher Vincelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been making some progress thus far. I have found that most of my isolated jewelry shots will need to have the zoom done with the pan and zoom feature in Vegas. The camera simply will not allow for good close up shots on small objects, or I'm still missing something. To get good focus requires me to be back about 4 or 5 feet.

One thing that has made the biggest difference is using the sharpening tool as well. It has just come to my attention that Vegas will not automatically bring the files over in HD, but rather does so in SD unless you change the settings under properties. That should help quite a bit as well.

Trial and error takes time but seems to be getting me to where I need to be.
Bruce Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #4
Trustee

Bruce,
You need to buy a set of close-up adapters which just screw onto the lens (58mm)
These are very good: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9102134/Hoya-Close-up-Kit-+1-2-4-Diopters-58mm/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0&&_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:9102134|cat:Camera+Accessories

You'll find the same products in your country I'm sure.
For an example of what you can do with them, I used them on the close ups at the beginning of this clip:

You can still use the 1.7 teleconverter option as well if you need to!!!

Last edited by Robin Davies-Rollinson; February 28th, 2010 at 05:45 AM.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Turner View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been making some progress thus far. I have found that most of my isolated jewelry shots will need to have the zoom done with the pan and zoom feature in Vegas. The camera simply will not allow for good close up shots on small objects, or I'm still missing something. To get good focus requires me to be back about 4 or 5 feet.
You're probably missing something.

Firstly, don't use the zoom, that's akin to trying to focus on a close object with a pair of binoculars. Instead, move the camera closer. Using manual focus, it's actually possible to get within an inch of your subject. If you need it any larger, then use the 1.7× crop.

Try to stay away from pan/crop in Vegas as you're discarding information, and of course, make sure your project properties are set to a HD resolution that matches the camera.
Stuart Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #6
New Boot

I agree with Stuart about the zoom - I have an HF100 (based on the HF10) so it's pretty similar to yours I think, and it can get great macro shots if I don't use the zoom (i.e. have the zoom all the way out to the widest angle) and move the camera close to the subject.
Geoff Kaiser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders