Archiving AVCHD structure on Mac to optical discs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Archiving AVCHD structure on Mac to optical discs?

Canon HF200
Mac OS 10.6.2
Toast 10 Pro 10.0.6
External Hard Drive
External Blu-ray Burner

I'm trying to find a viable solution to archiving 32GB SDHC cards from aforementioned system. I have not yet found a way to split the PRIVATE folder for backup to optical discs (BD-R, DVD+DL, DVD-R)

Current Workflow:

1) Create Folders on hard drive: Clips1, Clips2, Clips3, etc

2) Copy 32GB SDHC to Clips2, the next 32GB SDCH to Clips2, etc

3) In Toast 10 Pro, select Video, AVCHD Archive but navigation pulldown only shows
HardDrive:Clips1:PRIVATE

PROBLEM:It does not offer a way to navigate to the other folders.
As far as I know, Toast is the only utility that can properly span discs so that it preserves proper folder structure. Canon has no such Mac software for example.

QUESTION 1
Is it possible to archive AVCHD from hard drive with Toast?
I'm thinking if I archive Clips1 safely and then delete, Clips2 would then show up . . . that Toast is limited to only showing the first folder in alphabetical order since it assumes SDHC card as source.

QUESTION 2
With Toast, has anybody spanned across different media types such that an SDHC card with more than 25GB is spanned to a 25GB BD-R followed by 8GB DVD+DL or 4GB DVD-R?
Toast manual and forums don't give any indication that this is possible but it certainly would be a waste to break a 32GB SDHC card to two 25GB BD-R discs.

QUESTION 3
Are there other Mac software solutions that properly allow archive of original AVCHD folder structure spanned across optical discs?

(This is so much easier with Sony EX-1 and ClipBrowser which has a Split folder feature).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

No one is backing up their files to DVD or Blu-ray?
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
No one is backing up their files to DVD or Blu-ray?
Well since you asked...no.

$79 1TB external USB hard drive. 7.9 cents/gb of storage vs 6 cents/gb for bluray. Just faster and easier for me to drag and drop.
Tom Majeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've been using hard drives as well for this. I don't trust them at all though. When using Sony EX1 I always back up to optical disc in addition to leaving a copy on hard drive.

Toast will supposedly split the BDMV folder across hard drives but apparently it messes with the metadata so that neither Final Cut Pro nor iMovie will see it as a valid folder.

Others suggest keeping all the folder structure on one optical disc and putting the "excess" .mts on other discs. Then when it's time to reuse, copy it all back to hard drive and put the .mts back in the folder. That seems like an accident waiting to happen.

I guess I'm one of the few concerned enough (paranoid) not to trust hard drives.
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I hear ya. My history of losing, misplacing, scratching, and unlabeling disks basically outweighs the hard drive lifespan issue-lol. I suppose if I had clips important enough I would save them to two external hard drives in parallel. All my work in progress clips are deleted from the internal drive once done.
Tom Majeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have a little filing cabinet for DVDs. I get ink jet printable discs. I print the date and subject of the shoot on the disc, put it in a little protective sleeve and into the the filling cabinet it goes.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Majeski View Post
My history of losing, misplacing, scratching, and unlabeling disks basically outweighs the hard drive lifespan issue.
That's trade off for me as well. And if the footage is that important, a 2nd drive is very reasonable, especially when you factor in that you can spread the cost of several projects onto a couple of mirrored drives.

If you're using off-the-shelf external hard drives, it's pretty competitive, but when you start using hot swappable enclosures and bare drives, they certainly give optical disks a run for their money.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders