advanced mini accessory shoe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 11th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

advanced mini accessory shoe

The HF S series have this shoe? Will I be able to fix a mic (a Rode Video Mic or comparable) on it? If advanced means that it is some sort of hot shoe, then what mic would work on it (I mean withoud external power and cables)?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #2
New Boot

It's correctly called the Advance "MINI" Shoe as its a non-standard shoe size (its smaller then normal). It is a hot shoe. You either have to buy a canon accessory to fit it or get a cold shoe adapter and use accessories that have their own power supply. Make sure you don't confuse it with the older Advance Shoe found on the HV-20,30,40 camcorders as those use the standard shoe size and any Canon accessory for it will NOT fit the "MINI shoe.

The only Canon accessories for the min-shoe that I know of are the DM-100 shotgun mic and the VL-5 and VLF-2 lights which will work directly with it supplying their power.
Sean Nordeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

OK, thanks.

Would you know what kind of accessory shoe is on the pan tm700. I know it's cold, but I can't find a picture where it is shown. Is it mini or normal size?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Get this

I just bought this one last week and used it for a wedding and love it. You can put a mic on top or a light and a wireless receiver on the side. You can virtually add 3 components to it. Yes it's cold I didn't mind since I use the Rhode Mic. It also screws on very easily onto my vixia hf20. it' a bit of an investment but it's def worth it.

Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have an HF10, and while I have the advanced mini shotgun mic, I have been frustrated with the limits of having the advanced mini shoe.

However, as a photographer I have a custom jr bracket. I mount the camera to that, the bracket can mount to a quick release, and I can mount light or other cold shoe accessory where the flash would go if I were using as a photo bracket.

It attaches quickly to the tripod, or I can take it off, and it works well.

And since I had it, it was free. A little bulkier than the cold shoe adapter, though.
Mike Brice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders