mic adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 21st, 2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mic adapter

Hello,
I am thinking of gettuing the canon hf s10, but I will use it with the LANC control adapter, leaving no space for mounting an external mic on the mini shoe. I do want to have an external mic somehow mounted on or at least near the camera. What kind of construction would solve that problem?
Thanks,
Rob
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Trustee

I use one of these with HV-30s. It leave the camera top hotshoe free and lets me mount 2 other bits of gear (shotgun/Senny G2 receiver/PAG light).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/419200-REG/Smith_Victor_701520_TR_56_Camcorder_Accessory_Mounting.html
This bracket appears to be marketed under various brands and is fine if you like the smell of rubber which can be incredibly strong when it's new.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Trustee

You will find that if you use the Canon LANC adapter with the HFS10/100, there will be audo interference with an external mic...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
I use one of these with HV-30s. It leave the camera top hotshoe free and lets me mount 2 other bits of gear (shotgun/Senny G2 receiver/PAG light).

Smith-Victor | TR-56 Camcorder Accessory Mounting | 701520 | B&H

This bracket appears to be marketed under various brands and is fine if you like the smell of rubber which can be incredibly strong when it's new.
Nice piece of equipment, but I always film with the cam on a tripod. So I guess this won't work.
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
You will find that if you use the Canon LANC adapter with the HFS10/100, there will be audo interference with an external mic...
There is not such interference with an external mic on the new HF S20/21/200 series?
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Major Player

On the HFs200 there is a dedicated port for the LANC. No need for an extra adapter and you can use the mini hot shoe for your Canon mic (very nice, good quality, no cable) or use the dedicated port for any other mic.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob deJong View Post
There is not such interference with an external mic on the new HF S20/21/200 series?
No, there won't be, so no problems...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob deJong View Post
Nice piece of equipment, but I always film with the cam on a tripod. So I guess this won't work.
It IS possible to mount the whole camera and bracket on a tripod (as the bush at the bottom of my bracket is threaded) but at a slight cost to the solidity of the tripod.

I find it's just OK with an HV-30 but heavier cameras like an XH-A1 are just too shoogly unless you are operating solely by LANC and not touching the camera at all.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:15 AM   #9
Regular Crew

OK, thanks for your information.
Rob deJong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders