9 Volts AC Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 6th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #1
New Boot

9 Volts AC Adapter

So, I lost my original AC adapter for my HV30.

My question is fairly simple: The nominal input voltage in the camera is 8.4V (also the orignal adapter had a nominal output voltage of 8.4v). I have lots of 9V AC adapters, would they work?

Is it known if the HV30 is protected for reverse polarity AC connections?

Thanks all for the help!~

AJ
Anibal Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Anibal,

Try out the SIMA SUP-60 DC power adapter. I use 3 of the prior units to power up my 3 Cams, including my HV30.

Harold

Last edited by Harold Schreiber; May 7th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Whoah..............

The HV30 power pack outputs 1.5 amps @ 8.4 volts DC, not AC.

A 9 volt AC output power pack will almost certainly fry the camera.

A 9 volt DC output power pack is fairly simply modified to give 8.4 volts DC by inserting an appropriately rated (2 amp minimum ) silicon rectifier diode in series with the positive output lead.

I think it highly unlikely the camera has reverse polarity protection, as with it's own power pack it could never happen.

If you have no means of asolutely spot on determining which lead is what polarity and the idea of inserting a diode sounds like rocket science, either get someone a tad more electronically qualified or buy a new Canon power adapter.

Whatever you do, DO NOT plug a 9 volt AC output power pack into the camera.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #4
New Boot

I apologize, I meant I have several 9VDC power adapter (AC input-DC output).

hmmm...I might use your suggestion. I know diodes create a voltage drop of (apprx.) 0.7 volts, so that might do it.

I needed to know if the HV30 has reverse polarity protection for that exact reason: I don;t have a multimeter or a way of knowing the polarity of the connector.
Anibal Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ah, that's better.................

You had me worried there for a while.

Well, on my HV20 power pack, the positive(+) lead has a red stripe on black, the negative (-) is just plain black.

If one of your available pp's has the same arrangement, you're good to go.

The connector for the HV's is a 3.5mm concentric power plug, inner conductor positive(+), outer conductor negative(-).

If none of your pp's has identified leads, an easy way to find out which is which, without recourse to a multimetre, is to simply grab said diode mentioned above, bare the ends of both leads (do keep them seperated when the power is applied) hold the non banded end of the diode against one of the bared ends and apply the other lead and the o/p of the diode to something a tad less expensive than your camera (torch bulb etc).

If the bulb lights then the diode is on the positive lead and the o/p should be 8.4 volts, assuming the pp was putting out 9 volts to start with (silicon rec's drop approx .6 volts, not .7).

If it doesn't light the diode is on the negative lead, so no current can flow.

Switch leads to confirm this.

Then you just have to :

a. Keep the positive lead identified

b. Figure out how to incorporate the diode into the pp or lead

c. Ensure you have the correct connector and make sure you wire it the correct way round.

Keep us posted.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Anibal,

Or just get the SIMA SUP-60. I've been using these units for years without problems. It's what I use for my HV30. Harold

Ultimate Adapter
Model SUP-60
Universal Digital Camera and Camcorder AC Power Adapter

Sima's Universal AC Adapter (Model SUP-60) is compatible with 95% of the digital cameras and camcorders on the market today!
It provides a precise, high-efficiency power supply for today's hi-tech digital cameras and camcorders. Compact and lightweight, it is ideal for travel. Includes 7 custom tips to fit all major brands of camcorders. Variable voltage switch lets customer select appropriate power settings.

Features• 7 Custom tips to fit all major brands of digital cameras and camcorders.
• Adjustable setting for choosing 3.3v, 4.2v, 5.0v, 6.5v, 8.4v, and 9.5v power supply.
• AC adapter for home use.
• Short-circuit protected
• Designed for high efficiency and low heat

For use with the following brands of digital camcorders: SONY, CANON, NIKON, KODAK, OLYMPUS, HP, MINOLTA, FUJIFILM, HITACHI, JVC, KYOCERA, EPSON, CASIO, PANASONIC, PENTAX, PREMIER, QUASAR, RICOH, SAMSUNG, SANYO, AGFA, TOSHIBA, VIVITAR
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders