1.7x Teleconverter Tips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1
New Boot

1.7x Teleconverter Tips?

Hi. I've recently bought the HF S100. I find the standard picture quality is excellent but I have a few problems with the in-built 1.7x teleconverter mode - which I use a lot. With the 1.7x switched on I'm experiencing a lot of chromatic aberation and blown highlights. The depth of field is also incredibly shallow and has to be adjusted manually to get the centre of the image sharp. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with these effects?

Last edited by Dom Greves; May 12th, 2010 at 01:29 PM.
Dom Greves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Dom,
I found that as well. You can more or less overcome the shortcomings by going into Aperture priority and stopping down the lens rather than shooting wide open.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Robin - yes I tried that, with mixed results. Having to switch to aperture priority every time you activate this feature is a lot to juggle - especially for wildlife subjects. I've also been experimenting with a polarizer filter in brighter conditions to see if that moderates the highlights but still not great. None of the online reviews seem to have commented on this shortcoming annoyingly. It's a shame because it's potentially a very powerful addition.
Dom Greves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders