Microphone Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Microphone Question

Hello all,

I've been experimenting with an Audio-Technica PRO24 stereo condensor mic plugged into the external mic jack of my Canon HF-S200. The sound isn't all that great - it's clear, but there's a lot of hiss, which I suspect is due to the camera's AGC circuit.

I've tried switching to the camera's internal mics and find the hiss is almost as bad, and as you might expect, the mics pick up a lot of room tone too.

I've tried all manner of noise reduction strategies in my NLE, but the hiss is still there, maybe a tiny bit less noticeable.

What would be a better solution to the hiss problem - getting something like a Rode VideoMic, or biting the bullet and getting a Beachtek XLR adaptor and a quality shotgun mic?

I am on a bit of tight budget, so money-wise the Rode would be preferable.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Steve, I know nought of your mic or camera, but would suggest that you either have an incorrect setting somewhere or that your camera audio is faulty.

If you are in an "ordinary - quiet" room and you are listening just for hiss after you recorded silence, then you will hear it because the AGC has upped the gain. However, if you do a normal voice over and listen you should not be aware of background hiss regardless of the mic you use.

Are there any attenuator settings or are you recording via a line input if it has this feature ? You shouldn't need to go & get another mic just because of this as you may be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Struthers View Post
I've been experimenting with an Audio-Technica PRO24 stereo condenser mic plugged into the external mic jack of my Canon HF-S200. The sound isn't all that great - it's clear, but there's a lot of hiss, which I suspect is due to the camera's AGC circuit.
AGC is certainly *a* culprit. It might not be *the* culprit however.

One thing you can try is manual gain control. Manually set the gain where you get -12dB peaks and see what level of hiss you get when AGC is out of the picture.

One thing to remember about microphones is closer is usually better. Microphones record sound pressure levels, and pressure waves in air are subject to the inverse square law -- that is, if you double the distance from the source, you get 1/4 the power. Said another way, if you double the distance from the source, you have to turn up the gain by 4x to maintain your recording level. This is why camera mounted microphones work so poorly -- they tend to be quite far from the sound source, so you have to turn the gain up really high, so you end up recording lots of noise (both electronic noise [hiss] and ambient noise).
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders