HF-10 Zooms in automatically...without sliding the zoom slider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HF-10 Zooms in automatically...without sliding the zoom slider

Hey guys, I have more of an annoyance right now then a problem. Whenever I am shooting video with my HF10 it zooms in without me sliding the zoom slider. I let it sit there and it gradually zooms in, I slide it back then 10 sec or so later it zooms back in slowly. I was curious if there is a way to fix this. I tend to just hold the zoom slider back when I am filming anyway, but its still annoying. It doesn't happen all the type but it happens a lot (most of the time). I was thinking it might just be "sticky" but I don't think so....maybe, I don't know.
Nathan Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Anybody have any ideas?
Nathan Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes I've had this problem for a while myself. I'm two months over the manufacture warranty so I guess I'm stuck with it. I bought the HF10 just so I could do long takes for timelapses so that I could speed them up in post. But one of the first times that I tried this I can back after 10 minutes of one take and the camera would be zoomed in all the way. Just this weekend at a wedding I used it for a third camera backup cutaway shots and I had trouble keeping it zoomed out because it kept zooming in. Aaaaagggghhhh!! Frustrating as heck.
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Usually this "glitch" has something to do with the flexible cable that goes between the camera and the LCD (ya know those little W and T buttons on the LCD...). Try moving the LCD around and see if the problem disappears - could be a break/short in which case moving the screen might make it "work" in certain positions. It might at least give you a workaround if that turns out to be the problem.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the same thing periodically but for me it zooms out, I wasn't sure if it was a faulty rocker or what, at this point I just have to live with it till I upgrade :\
Jeremy Dallek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders