VIXIA HF10: Is it possible to change PAL unit into NTSC, perhaps via firmware? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VIXIA HF10: Is it possible to change PAL unit into NTSC, perhaps via firmware?

These days I shoot primarily with a pro JVC GY-HM700, but I still keep my trusty HF10 around as a 2nd camera for things like meetings, live events, etc.

I found an inexpensive used HF10 on eBay last week and decided it would make a perfect 3rd camera for an event I have on the 24th.

Unfortunately, what the US-based seller didn't say in the auction that this was a PAL camera. So now I've got a camera which can't match the frame rates in my existing HF10 and very little time to resolve the situation. The seller does have a return policy and I make take advantage of it.

But, is there a way that I can just flip a hidden setting or load in new firmware and have an NTSC camera with the usual 60i, 30p, 24p choices? (The PAL version only does 50i, 25p.) I'd like to avoid post-production conversion if at all possible.

Anyone in the Portland metro area have an HF10 they'd loan out for a weekend, taking a PAL camera as collateral? :-)

Thanks in advance,
Bob Richardson
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Response from Canon support:

---------------------

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I'm sorry to
hear that you have purchased a camcorder with works only in PAL.

Unfortunately, your VIXIA HF10 can only work with PAL electronics. I
sorry to say that there is no firmware update that will be able to
change the camcorder to work with NTSC. I'm sorry for the
inconvenience.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your
VIXIA HF10.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Torrey
Technical Support Representative
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Just sell it on a UK or Australian ebay and replace with an NTSC model? I use NTSC camcorder here in Aus and no problems with rendering to PAL.
Gan Eden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders