Does anybody know how much to fix a broken HV20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Tourist

Does anybody know how much to fix a broken HV20?

I searched the forum and saw a few messages about broken camcorder but could not find out what the estimate to fix it. I dropped my HV20 and now it's not powering on. The tape release is still working but nothing else is (somebody in the forum had the same problem but they said it fixed itself somehow). Has anybody fixed their HV camcorder and how much? I'd like to know to see if it's worth to pay for shipping and fix it, or just get a new HV40. Thanks.
John Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A couple observations...

First, repair shops can vary widely, with the "factory" centers usually being the most expensive, unless of course the cam is under warranty. You may be able to find a smaller shop that con do the "same" service for less.

Second, estimating a repair is impossible without at least looking the camera over, for obvious reasons. The range of damage can be huge, some things are as simple as a bad connector or loose cable which might sneak out for a minimum service charge, all the way up to a dead mainboard or lens block ($$$).

Third, you're asking about a camera that's several years old and currently non-responsive (unless you mean to say that the tape mech is still ejecting and taking the tape in, that would be SOME sign of life, and that action can happen with the camera "off"... it's "something").

Depending on how many hours you've got on it, the odds are pretty good you're looking at a less than economical repair, as most minimum charges are over $100 - what's a used, working HV20 going for nowdays? Saw one from a reliable DVi'er in the classifieds for $300 not too long ago...

If it were me, I'd go find a new or slightly used camera of your choice, and put the carcass on eBay - someone will probably pay you a decent amount for "parts" as it sits, you'd be surprised how many people are looking for parts units to Frankenstein together or fix their damaged cameras...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders