Dubbing mini dv tapes via firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 12th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dubbing mini dv tapes via firewire

Hi, I'm backing up some footage a friend gave me that he shot using a non hd three chip camcorder Sony vx2000 or something like it from 7-8 years ago. I have done this before from footage I shot with my canon gl-2 and another mini dv camcorder. I tried doing this using my canon zr900 going to my canon gl-2, but the audio will not transfer, so I have to use my canon vixia hv 30 which is an hd camcorder. Will it work if I play it in my vixia and record the footage to my gl-2? Will the results be the same if I go from the gl-2 to the vixia? I've never used a hd camcorder to dub. If I understand this correctly the quality will be the same because it was shot using a non hd camcorder. Also, I want to make sure it does not distort the picture because I know the vixia will do 16x9 and this was shot in 4x3.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Tony,

HDV camcorders also play and record DV, so I don't see an issue using the HDV camera as the player OR recorder. As for the audio not recording - does the source tape have 32k or 48k audio? You may have to switch recorder audio setting to match. Either aspect, 4:3 or 16:9, should dub just fine.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. I'm not sure about the audio. All I know is that when I put tapes from a batch that I did in my canon zr900 it works and if I put my friends tape in the gl2 the audio also works. thx
Tony Marino is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders