HF S200 for flim look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 18th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #1

HF S200 for flim look

Could some of your more experienced users of this fine camera, please the best settings to get that film look if possible please?

Thanks

Lee
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #2
New Boot

also interested in this if anyone has any input
Daniel Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Film Look

This is a really hard question to answer, because there isn't any one specific film look. There are a huge variety of visual styles that you can see in films, so it is hard to say "do this and get a film look". It would be much easier to offer a specific set of instructions if you posted a frame from a movie and asked "How can I create something that looks like this?" Then we would be able give advice on how to create that look. Just saying film look in general is awfully vague.

With that said though, there are some things you can do to mimic the general look of film.

-Shoot progressive scan, either 24p or 30p. Film is not interlaces, so your video shouldn't be either.

-I don't remember if the vixia cameras let you manually set your detail level or not, but if they do, set it to the lowest setting.

-If you have an editing program that lets you adjust your gamma curve, modify the curve to give it a slight "S" shape instead of a straight lane.

-Manually set your shutter. If you are shooting 24p your shutter should be 1/48. If 30p you should be 1/60.

-Manually set your exposure. Auto exposer will tend to be a little too bright. Manually set your exposure and try to under expose just a hair.

-The majority of what we associate with the film look comes from technique, not camera settings. You can actually shoot film that looks like poorly shot video. Manage your lighting carefully, if shooting exteriors try to shoot during the "golden hour". Don't zoom while shooting, move the camera instead. Don't pan or move the camera too fast.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Adam makes some good points, especially using your NLE to adjust the gamma curves.
Avoid all all times the Canon built-in Cinema mode. It will give you a different gamma curve, but at the cost of definition. Why Canon can allow this image degradation, I really can't understand. Try it for yourself and see what I mean.
In the custom settings, I keep colour as normal, the same for brightness, but I turn contrast down (there are only three settings anyway!)
As Adam also says, use manual for exposure. I'm a great believer in slighly under-exposing - that goes back to my film cameraman days. You can always find detail in the shadow areas in post, but you can't put them back if they've been blown out by over-exposure.
Applying an 'S' curve in post can really be an eye-opener sometimes: the amount of extra detail that you don't normally see will really leap out.
And of course, shoot progressive!
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM   #5
New Boot

excellent input!!! Thanks. I am going to try the gamma curve thing in vegas now!
Daniel Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders