Vixia HF M32 vs. Mac OS X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Tourist

Vixia HF M32 vs. Mac OS X

I'm a wildlife videographer and currently use an iMac with FInal Cut Pro to do all my post production. I have a Canon XL-h1 and just recently picked up a Vixia HF M32 for when I cannot lug around the h1. I shot some test video the other day and went to Log & Capture it via Final CUt and could not get the application to recognize the camcorder. I then googled "Vixia and mac compatibility" and started to feel sick to my stomach after reading all the horror stories of what a pain it is to transfer the data from a Vixia to a mac.

Are there any solutions?

Thanks!

Brian Kleinman
Brian Kleinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

I'd just record directly to SD cards and then you can just pull the card out and transfer the files using any SD card reader. I'm on PC and a Vixia HF10 and find it is much slower to transfer from the camera to computer than an SD card. I initially liked the ideal of having built in memory, and I guess it would still be nice to have in case of emergency, but very quickly I found myself avoiding its use.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Pete for you input,

Yeah I agree this is becoming a headache. I did some research and found that you need a program to convert the AVCHD into a workable FCP codec ~ Roxio Toast was one of the applications, I'll probably give that a try.

Brian
Brian Kleinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

HF and FCP

I don't have the new Vixia M, but mine is its 'granddaddy', the HF-100.

Connecting a camera to the USB requires selecting "PC/Printer" from the screen. That is the only way camera will properly show up on that Mac. One other thing: Log and Capture only works for camcorders that require capturing video in real time (i.e. tape-based DV or HDV, meaning those hooked up via FireWire). Tapeless media is ingested into FCP using 'Log and Transfer' feature. Final Cut should automatically see your camcorder when you select Log & Transfer.

Rather than editing AVCHD video directly (which is a colossal pain, even on fastest computers today), FCP will transcode it into a format that is much more manageable. This is normally Apple's ProRes 422, although if you wish, you can choose AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). Both of these will take much more disk space than the original AVCHD files, but the result will be significantly lower rate of compression, thus allowing your Mac to work much less to decompress the video in real time while editing.

While I agree that it is easier to just stick that SDHC (SDXC) card into the SD slot on that iMac (or MacBook Pro), there is no need to avoid the USB solution. It is a bit clunkier (and perhaps somewhat slower), but it works perfectly fine.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders