Possibly the last proud new HV40 owner here... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Trustee

Possibly the last proud new HV40 owner here...

...But I have been using a couple of HV30s at work since the HV20 was discontinued.

After skimming though the 68 pages of posts on this forum, I think I've got the hang of most of the issues, but wanted to see if there were any other suggestions from HV20/30/40 users that I hadn't picked up.
Here's my list of "must have" accessories:

• Batteries: Already have a couple of BP-2L24H equivalents and a CB-2LWE Battery Charger of my own. Might actually go for a real Canon BP-2L24H as well.

•W/A converter: Similarly bought a WD-H43 Wide-converter myself as no budget for it at work. Great lens.

• Filters to cover the lens assembly: After experiencing HV30 automatic lens cover problems, I put a 43mm Hoya UV filter on the new HV40 before I used it and have promised myself to always have that, or the WD-H43 or a 43mm Hoya circular polarizer on the front of the camera. It ain't gonna have the chance to get grit in it!

• External mics: Audio gear shared with other cameras includes Rode NTG-2, Sennheiser G2 wireless mic set with upgraded lav, Zoom H2 and H4n; Various furry deceased creatures in a generally unsuccessful attempt to get rid of wind noise; inconspicuous in-ear headphones for when I can't use the proper Senny HD 25 cans for monitoring.

• Tapes: A (large) stock of JVC tapes (both M-DV60DE for everyday use and Pro HD ones to ward off evil spirits when doing critical recordings). I'm going to stay with this one brand as I have with all my DV and HDV work. Matching JVC head cleaning tapes.

• Tapeless too - Firestore FS-4HDPRO 60Gb HDD available when required. If it croaks might look at a card based recorder.

• Support/attachments: Various hot shoe brackets, extenders and handles; Monopod and tripods shared with other cameras. Would like a Steadicam Merlin but can't justify the expense for the use it would get.
Neckstrap fitted to camera for safety when rigging etc.

• Lighting: PAGlight C6 kit if I need it, may get an LED array. Mains lighting gear available.

• Documentation: Always carry user guide, downloaded the PDF. Downloaded the manual control stuff from various threads. Keeping a memory card in the slot.

• Other: Considering the IRV Manual Focus Ring, and a Kata raincover.

Any other "must have" suggestions? I will be doing mainly family stuff and event B cams on the HV40.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Spring for the Canon batteries. The Chinese generics work OK, but survive through fewer chargings and (for whatever reason) won't charge the internal battery (to maintain settings)

WA is a good buy.

I bought the IRV ring, and it never worked right regardless of how much I fidgeted with it. Sometimes it would randomly lose contact, movement was erratic, rough, and noisy, and eventually the wheel contact roller came completely unglued (with no warranty and no ability to repair it) rendering the unit even uselesser (yes, I'm claiming that as an actual word). IRV hasn't responded to my request for repair tips or discount on their might-someday-be-available vers2.0 unit.

Other useful bits...

a simple handle with additional cold shoes
a set of macro diopters
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I purchased 2 of these in December plus the one I already owned. Outstanding camera for the money.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders