Canon Vixia HF G10 Sample videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 14th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon Vixia HF G10 Sample videos

I put my SD card in the HFG10 at CES 2011 to bring you these sample videos. Consider the camcorder is not totally finished, Canon may still be tweaking things in terms of quality. I couldn't fit my Sennheiser MKE400 Shotgun microphone for better directional audio recording in the thing, I guess Canon doesn't use standard shoe size, surely I could get an adapter.

As far as I understand the $1500 Canon Vixia HF G10 has the exact same optics and video recording quality as the $2000 Canon XA10, only difference being XLR inputs. Let me know if there is more differences? I wonder if there are good not too expensive XLR audio recording options for the two XLR inputs in XA10 and if I should go with that instead of the Seenheiser MKE400 shotgun microphone that I have been using for over a year.

Find my Samples posted to my website: Canon Vixia HF G10 Sample recordings – ARMdevices.net

24mbitps@1080p@24p Sample:
On YouTube: YouTube - Canon Vixia HF G10 Sample (24mbitps@1080p@24p)
Download sample on Google Docs (96MB for 34 seconds)

12mbitps@1080p@24p Sample:
On YouTube: YouTube - Canon Vixia HF G10 Sample (12mbitps@1080p@24p)
Download sample on Google Docs (52MB for 35 seconds, this is probably the quality I would record my video-blogging in for it not to take too long to upload to YouTube)

No in-camera cut and join editing? No 720p modes? No 60p mode? No overlay graphics integration (such as transparent png file with my logo at bottom right corner of videos)? No built-in Bluetooth mics and sound mixer (Canon says they got an external Bluetooth microphone option, though may not support more than one Bluetooth microphone at the time)? No built-in fast WiFi and Ethernet YouTube uploads? I would like a good in-camera compressor to make high quality at low manageable bitrates to upload HD on YouTube without requiring PC re-encoding, without it taking too long especially at conferences where there is slow upload speed. Those are features I would like in my next camera, but I still may do without if quality can be much improved over the Sanyo HD1000 that I have been using for all my video-blogging since March 2008. Do you think I should upgrade my video-blogging to this camera or do you have another suggestion for what new camera I should consider?
Nicolas Charbonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Charbax! Fancy seeing you on here (and welcome). It's a few years since I was helping out on your Forum!

Well, if you're looking for a fairly top end camcorder with maximum picture quality in a small sized package for blogging then that Vixia will do a nice job I'm sure. Or you could consider the outgoing versions, e.g. Canon HF S21 (and it's variants).

Other top end camcorders to consider would be the (new) Sony CX700 (or it's outgoing sister CX550) or perhaps a (new) Panasonic TM900 or it's variants (again the current model is the TM700). These are the consumer camcorders often mentioned on here as being at the top end for picture/performance/features at this kind of price point. Choose what works best for your own needs.

Cheers!
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This is the adapter I use on my HF S10

Hague Canon Shoe Adaptor - for Canon Camcorders CSA on eBay (end time 03-Feb-11 11:00:53 GMT)
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Looks like the new approach to using a single 1/3 inch full-raster chip by Canon is bringing class leading low light performance to their new high end/prosumer small form camcorders - although last year's 3 chip Panasonic (TM700 etc.) can deliver a little more sharpness and colour saturation it seems, plus 1080p50/60 and at a much lower price point, albeit with weaker low light performance.

I imagine the next Canon model up, the XA10, would perform identically since it's the same chip, lens and AVCHD codec. This is the one I'm most interested in because of the XLR option so this HF-G10 review has been studied somewhat by me as an indication of what that one might be like too!

Also, the new Sony CX700 also uses a single sensor (1/2.88 inch, 6.2mm) so that one's low light performance will be interesting too - when it gets reviewed - hopefully sometime soon!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Re: Canon Vixia HF G10 Sample videos

Just ordered this camera from Japan. Should be here in ten or so days. I will post some HDMI captures with it once it arrives. I believe that this camera will be unbelievable quality and value.

Take care.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Trustee

yeah, I wanted to order from Japan too, but camcorder will be available only mid March, and mid March it'll be in every store, so I guess there is no point to loose a waranty option.
Old February 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Trustee

Unfortunately the camera may be delayed a bit. B&H was showing March delivery and it's now showing April delivery. Canon tells me it's 'shipping' in mid-March and will be available sometime in April.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Go Cycle

First or second week of April to NY dealers.
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Trustee

Lou, where did you get that info?
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #10
Major Player

Actually - the seller will be shipping April so cancelled my order
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:49 AM   #11
Trustee

i can't believe how well it does in low light, i absolutely love this wonder of technology!
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

That was a great comparison video by Paramon (is that you?)

Glad he/you used some well know cameras (TM700, EX1, 5DMkII) in there and labelled the settings for shots.

The new Canon HFG10 does indeed do remarkably well in low light.
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:48 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
That was a great comparison video by Paramon (is that you?)
yes, it is me :)
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:53 AM   #14
Trustee

Buba, thanks for the test. What's your take on how the HF-G10 compares to the Panasonic TM700 in good light? It seemed from your video that the 700 was both redder (perhaps an AWB issue?) and sharper. But you would know best.

I've got this puppy on order too, but who knows when we'll see it.

Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:36 AM   #15
Trustee

G10 doesn't have 60P, and in 60P TM probably looks it's best, I choose G10 because it has better low light , but i will run side by side with TM700, XF100, CX700 and any other camcorder I'll find,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders