Vixia camera noise / camera mounted mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vixia camera noise / camera mounted mics

I currently have an HV30 and a rode videomic. like others, i find that the camera motor noise is just too much to be able to use the videomic mounted on the camera.

my question is: do the non-tape vixias have the same amount of camera noise? does anyone use their HF S200, for example, with a camera mounted mic? i would like to have the option of using the videomic camera mounted and may replace my hv30. i'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences.
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Aya,

Have you tried an angled mount for the mic to get it way from the noise? I bought one for the HV40 and it works - reduced the noise by about 90%. It needs positioning correctly though - to the right, over the tape door and forward a bit. One that fits the hotshoe is best, not those that screw into the base as I found no matter what you did it quickly became loose on the tripod. I also use the Rode video mic (stereo).
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Geoffrey,
Thanks for that idea - sounds like a good solution. I hadn't thought about that. Do you have a link to the product you're describing?

Do you think something like this would create enough distance to do the trick? Light and Sound Video Bracket | L.A. Color Online
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Yep that's it - might even be the very one! I also bought one that was more flexible and could be angled more precisely and was even more effective but a bit awkward to use. The linked bracket will definitely help reduce the noise considerably and is pretty cheap. It also has the advantage of getting any mic windshield (furry type) away from the lens which I also had a problem with.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you, Geoffrey. I will try one of those - just ordered it!

Does anyone have any experience with Rode Video mics and non-tape Vixias motor noise? I'm thinking of going tapeless for a second vixia. Thanks.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

There's virtually no sound from my HF S100, a slight hiss but not one that my Videomic would pick up.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Very good to know. Thanks, Ray.
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders