XFS11 Flash won't fire/Canon Loyalty at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 30th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Major Player

XFS11 Flash won't fire/Canon Loyalty

Has anyone had the flash stop working on any of their Vixia cameras? Ever since we got back from vacation my camera has been acting funny. Every time the battery is disconnected, all of the settings reset, which was not normal. Also the flash stopped firing for photos. I contacted Canon and they suggested it probably needs to be repaired. They gave me the address of their service center and also offered me Canon Loyalty Program to get a new or refurbished unit at a "vastly discounted" rate. Has anyone dealt with this program before?

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: XFS11 Flash won't fire/Canon Loyalty

I have not had this happen.

However, I am currently awaiting for my HV30 to come back from the Canon repair center. I've been corrosponding with their staff, which one can do once you send your unit in and get a repair number. I actually called them first thing this morning to find out what has been delaying things. They can give you an estimate to repair it on their website.

They also offered me the loyalty discount, which I ultimately declined. I inquired about the details. The loyalty discount was only on refurbished items. Well, the discount on the cameras they were offering me was about the same price I could buy one of their 'Refurbished" units for off their site that sells 'refurbished' camcorders (type in canon repair center and you'll find it). So, in reality, there wasn't much of a discount. Furthermore, the discount did not apply to the latest models I was interested in buying, only the models off their refurbished site. If they would have given me a voucher or visa card to be used on a new Canon at, say, Best Buy, I would have probably taken them up on it. In your case, consider your factors and see what makes sense for you.

Good luck,
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:08 AM   #3
Major Player

I had a feeling it probably wasn't the best deal, but really my camera is used (and unfortunately I've had it since March 2010 so it's out of warranty), so a refurbished model doesn't seem that bad, but I checked out the selection on their site and didn't find a model I'd even want particularly.

Thanks for the reply. I'll go the repair route and see what they quote me.

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Major Player

FYI, Well, they have the S21 and the S20 on there now for $599. I've noticed that stock varies slightly from time to time. You might see something different in a few days.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders