How to reduce flicker when recording monitor Canon HF G10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 13th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Tourist

How to reduce flicker when recording monitor Canon HF G10

Hello All,

My first post :)

I have a Canon HF G10 and using mainly in P mode, with adjusted white balance etc.

When recording my monitor (I have it behind me when talking) it flickers. I totally understand why. However, users suggested changing the shutter speed, which I did, to 1/12 or 1/6 (something like that). That got rid of the flicker, but then when I move my hands of course they are all blurred ;)

Link to the bad flicker; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8gLKhPCy8E

So, does anyone have some suggested settings to try?

Many thanks, Dave

Last edited by Dave Cryer; October 13th, 2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added example link
Dave Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: How to reduce flicker when recording monitor Canon HF G10

If I were in this situation, I would put it in to Manual mode - and roll through all the shutter speeds to see which one works best with the scan lines of the monitor. If you find a higher shutter speed works better, you can always increase your gain and open your iris to compensate. Did you only try 1/12 or 1/6? As you observed, any shutter speed that low will cause a strobe effect. I can get away with 1/24, but anything lower is no good for motion.
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #3
Wrangler

Re: How to reduce flicker when recording monitor Canon HF G10

To do this right, you need a camcorder that supports "clear scan" such as the XF100. However, you may be able to get by if you try different available shutter speeds, recording modes, and/or try different refresh rates on your monitor (if it is a PC).

If all else fails, recompose the shot and key in the desired monitor display in post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders