Low Light settings for HF M40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 24th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Low Light settings for HF M40

Just purchased a HF M40 as a B cam. I've tried some low light test footage and so far it's not what I expect. The footage has more grain than I expect and wanted to know what LOW LIGHT settings are working for others that own the m400, m40, or m41?

Thanks Much,
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Low Light settings for HF M40

You might start by trying to use the auto gain setting set to around 18db. I find on the XA10 the camera is noise free up to 18db.

I have plenty of recent footage that can confirm this. Your camera is not familiar to me, so I don't know, but it's my understanding the sensor is the same as the XA10. It could be the electronics are different and maybe not as effective as the more expensive cameras, but I don't know that.

I also am assuming your camera has the auto-gain setting, so if if doesn't never mind.

Someone will surely come along that knows your camera better than I.
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff. I've tried adjusting the gain up to 18db and still get noise. It must be some of the other settings that I need to adjust. I guess I will keep trying.
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Troy, that is the only setting I adjust, most of the time, except for white balance. I will adjust exposure when I have backlighting, etc, but otherwise, the gain setting only. Gain is what causes noise, so I wonder if there is anything else to be done.

I have a sneaking suspicion the M40 has less advanced ability to deal with low light than the G10, but I don't know that, as you know.

It makes sense if that is the case, as unfortunate as that would be. A price difference as great as that between the cameras has to be justified somehow. I know the lens is not the same, and the viewfinder is also different.

You might google the issue like M40 vs G10 in low light, etc and see what you find. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old November 25th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Jeff,

I saw some sample footage (see below) on Vimeo that shows great low light footage using the M400 and M40. What's strange is that when I increase the black levels in Sony Vegas the footage looks fine. My thinking is that I should be able to get the same w/o making adjustments in post. I will try the google search you suggested. As always, thanks for the help.

Troy

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Does look OK, his gain is set to 9db except at 60i he's at 15, and the image is not as bright, which makes no sense, but maybe it's the 60i making the difference?

At 9db, from his test, you should get no noise.
Old November 25th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #7
Major Player

That's correct. I will try some more test tomorrow. I know this has nothing to do w/ the problem, but I also added a Canon Wide Angle lens. It makes the camera look a lot larger than it is and the wide angle looks great. If I can get the LL issue solved I will be satisfied:-)
Old November 25th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Trustee

HF M has different lens, i suspect it won't be as good as HFG/XA10 in low light, but it still better than anything in it's price range.
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Bubba. Made a few adjustments that work a little better. The settings from the video link on page 5 of this thread help a lot.
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I think it's a bit of a downer the low light performance isn't more noise free, more in line with the G10, but that is asking a lot for the price, I suppose.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders