Vixia HF M32 Audio Accessories Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 6th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Tourist

Vixia HF M32 Audio Accessories Question

Is it possible to run a Rode shotgun mic that is 3.5mm and Sony ECM-AW3 wireless bluetooth mic that is also 3.5mm together at the same time on a Canon Vixia HF M32?

Maybe some kind of splitter or something?
Luke Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Vixia HF M32 Audio Accessories Question

There are boxes made that do this, I have owned and used them, but forget the brands. They attach to the bottom of the camera and then can be mounted to a tripod if necessary. They are slightly cumbersome but effective.

There are two popular brands. Go to the audio forum and start a thread there. These units allow you to control volume for each channel.

I would think you could use a splitter, don't know, but you would have no control over levels, and I'm not sure it would be a great way to go, but maybe you could make it work.

In the end, it is obviously much better if possible to buy a XA10 with it's two XLRs.

Zoom makes a recorder for about $100 that syncs perfectly with video. Buy a Lavalier mic and you could skip the wireless. I use one for every wedding and the quality is superb, as good as my $500 Sony Wireless unit, if not better.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeff, are you talking about Beachtek and Juicedlink?
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #4
Wrangler

Beachtek, Juiced and Studio 1 are some brands. There are others in the general class of field mixers.
XLR Adapter - Camcorder XLR Audio Adapter for a Video Camera

One issue with using different mics is matching levels. Use of AGC can be especially "dangerous" to your sound because you may get unwanted side channel effects where the level in one channel effects both in strange ways not as apparent with typical stereo sources.
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That's right D.J..
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
New Boot

I think something like this is what you are looking for.

For only $0.26 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 x 3.5mm Mono Jack Splitter Adaptor - Gold Plated | 3.5mm <--> 3.5mm Adapters

Downside is that you will not be able to adjust the gain independently for your mics in the camera, but it may not be an issue.
Chris Frechette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders