Legria - Rant mode = ON at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 28th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Legria - Rant mode = ON

<rant>

I was really pleased to see the new Vixia models that were announced at CES this year. I really wanted to believe that Canon had been listening to its users (well me, alright) and actually released some HF models that were going to be useful.

Three new Vixia HF models all with microphone ports! Hooray! Just couldn't wait to see these as Legrias as well.

No, what does PAL land get, two lame HF models with not a microphone port in sight. What do you suppose is so hard about making a Vixia model and a Legria model with the same specs? Surely it costs more to make separate versions for each television format?

I will continue to stick with my Legria HF200's. These are perhaps the high point of the Legria range offering microphone port, accessory shoe (mini advanced) and picture profile adjustments.

I know we get a lot of company representatives on the forum who are able to offer insights into their company's thinking, is there a Canon person out there who would like to explain?

</rant>
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Legria - Rant mode = ON

May or may not apply but at one time there was an issue with import duties on electronics in certain regions of the world. It had to do with what specific features/capabilities that are on the device. It might be that having a mic port or analog input recording, for example, bumps the price point significantly due to additional taxes that come into play.
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Legria - Rant mode = ON

Hi Don,

I think I know exactly to what you are referring - years ago, some of the Sony miniDV camcorders had VIDEO IN that allowed recording via analog inputs. European models lacked this, since a "VCR Tax" would then apply.

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders