Specs on inside of Canon HF-G10 lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 12th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Specs on inside of Canon HF-G10 lens

I was inspecting the lens of my Canon HF-G10 yesterday and was alarmed to see several white flecks deposited on the inside of the lens. As far as I could judge, shining an LED light into the lens, they looked to be behind the front element, just off center. I thoroughly examined the lens in like manner when I first received the camcorder and periodically since, and I'm darn sure they weren't there before.

Thankfully, they do not appear to be affecting the video image, but I'm curious as to how they might have got there. I guess they could be something that has dislodged from elsewhere in the lens casing. But is it possible that fine debris could get in, from around the Manual Focus Ring maybe? Can't say I know anything about the way it is assembled, other than thinking for it to be a moving component there must be some kind of ring seal.

Anyone else experienced this and/or can shed light?
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Specs on inside of Canon HF-G10 lens

Are they specs? or bubbles in the VAP? Has the camera recetly undergone a significant change in altitude?
Old August 12th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Looks more like flecks (two of them) to me, but yes, I recently flew to the UK for vacation. I had the camcorder in an Otterbox-like case on the outbound flight, and did find some resistance when opening the case after arrival. On the return flight I had in a soft padded case.

Whats the VAP, by the way?
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Wrangler

VAP - variable angle prism, the OIS device mounted on the front end of the lens

Was it in checked baggage by any chance?

I've read that extended periods at high altitude can induce temporary formation of bubbles in the fluid in the VAP. Possibility if they apepared right after the flight.
Old August 13th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, yes, pending your reply, I read up a bit more on the subject. Apparently these bubbles can get quite large (even pea size) when they first appear. Sometimes they resolve completely, but not always, persisting as a tiny bubble or clusters of them.

Well, on both outbound and outbound flights, the HF-G10 was with me in hand-luggage. Like I said, on the outbound it was in a 'water tight' hard case (with no pressure release valve). Can't say I inspected the lens after arrival and I can't see any unusual aberrations in the vacation videos I shot. On the return flight, it was in a regular, soft case. Only now, three weeks after returning, have I inspected the lens to find these specks.

They just don't look like bubbles - they are tiny white flecks.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; August 13th, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders