firewire to USB 3 converter, do they work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 8th, 2016, 08:15 AM   #1
New Boot

firewire to USB 3 converter, do they work?

So, I have an HV20 purchased in '08 which I haven't used for some years. Now, my newest computer doesn't have a firewire port- since they're pretty much obsolete. I know that there are cables that supposedly will convert from firewire to USB 3- but I've read countless online messages that recommend against this. Anybody have good luck sending your HV20 tape data to your PC via such a cable?
Joe
Joseph Zorzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: firewire to USB 3 converter, do they work?

If your PC is a desktop model, just get a Firewire 1394 card for $30 and drop it in there for best results. Have never heard anything positing resulting from using a converter.

Thanks
Old July 8th, 2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: firewire to USB 3 converter, do they work?

Maybe buy a used laptop at a pawn shop or flea market. Power it on and make sure it has Windows installed. All you need is Windows Movie Maker to capture your footage. Movie Maker was included in earlier versions of Windows, then at some point, maybe it was Windows 7, they didn't include it anymore, but let you download it for free off their web-site.

I think there are still some firewire laptops being sold new, but definitely getting to be fewer and fewer.

You could also look for a refurbished laptop. I think Best Buy, Staples and Office Depot sell them. ($150 - 500).

I seriously doubt there's any adapter out there that will do what you want. I would not pursue that path, as you may end up frying your camera or computer.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders