Frame Mode Or 24f For Sure! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Frame Mode Or 24f For Sure!

OK, I am most (positively) shocked at the video quality of the samples of the HV10 as posted by Martin Sinclair's new thread (thanks Martin :), specially taking in consideration they are heavily MPEG/Quicktime compressed so not reflecting the best this camera can do.

However, have you guys downloaded and seen all the video clips, specially ezsm01.mpg and ezsm03.mpg ones? Guess what? The motion is clearly not 60i! It is either 24f (most probably not) or most likely "Frame mode" like the original Optura and XL-1. This is great news! At least its better than nothing!!! This is G*R*E*A*T news indeed!!!
Peter Macletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:13 AM   #2
Major Player

It looks like a higher shutter rate on some of the shots, or maybe the way it was encoded, but I don't think it's a frame mode of any kind.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:21 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, definitely not Frame mode.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

OK, you might be right, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It looks to me exactely the type of shutter effect I got on the XL-1, but I may be mistaken.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey, I hope there is a frame/cinema mode in this camera. I think that there is at the very least a 50/50 chance it will. It's direct competition is the Sony HC3 and it has the Cineframe mode re-badged as cinema mode. So cross your fingers.

I just rewatched that footage, and I have to say some of the shallow DOF shots look really good.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, but again, there definitely is NOT any Frame mode or cinema mode in the Canon HV10 (and if there was, it would have been heavily advertised already).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sorry, but again, there definitely is NOT any Frame mode or cinema mode in the Canon HV10 (and if there was, it would have been heavily advertised already).
If shooting at 1/30s shutter speed (and using ND filters as needed) would it provide a motion similar to 30fps frame mode?
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Chris,

Have you mentioned the HV10 doesn't have Frame Mode yet?
Bill Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Macletis
If shooting at 1/30s shutter speed (and using ND filters as needed) would it provide a motion similar to 30fps frame mode?
Shooting interlaced video at 1/30 gives you a dreamier look. I think it's closer in character to 24p. To get something that looks more like 30p/frame mode, it's probably more effective to shoot at a higher shutter speed.
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #10
Major Player

so what you're saying is...

there might not in fact be any frame mode on this camera?

Whoa, that is news, isn't it?

okay, sorry - I'm sure Chris is gonna prune me.
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:59 PM   #11
Major Player

dumb move

for not including 24f - many filmakers would have been interested in using a really portable cam just for image , recording doublesystemsound. I think they'll include it on later models since it's their proprietary firmware. Lets' hope so. That would be my next cam. Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:33 AM   #12
Regular Crew

With the lack of 24F shooting mode as a given (unfortunately) would anyone here venture to guess how the HV10's footage may look like when processed by 24p conversion software like DVFilm's 24p Maker, or 24p conversion suites like FilmFX or Magic Bullet?
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Color and Gamma Corrected 24p converted samples...

Color and Gamma Corrected sample footage converted to 24p via TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress Pro for Windows can be downloaded from HERE. This is a WMV-HD file (format from which I got the best conversion results). On a Core Duo 2.8GHz CPU this took about 32 minutes which is very slow but the results are worth any wait. Now more than ever, the HV10 is for me positively worth the camera's tag price (despite the hours of computing convertion times needed for film-like results).
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #14
Trustee

you can finally shoot family memories in HD at an affordable price and very high quality than SD! and it's got frame mode 24F!

i kid... i kid.

*ducking to avoid crossfires*.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders