What type of MiniDV Tape do you guys recommend I use? And a couple more ?s. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 19th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Major Player

What type of MiniDV Tape do you guys recommend I use? And a couple more ?s.

Sorry to continue with the questions, but I'm just too excited about my Camera and just want to make sure I get the best accessories I can for it.

As I await the delivery, I was hoping you guys could help me pick out the accessories I need for my new Camera.

What type of MiniDV tapes are you guys using?
(I don't mind paying top dollar for the tapes.)

I'm also going to get the Raynox HD5050 WideAngle lens, but what about a telephoto lens (if possible)? Anyone using one on there Hv10?

And last but not least, what about the BP-315 battery...what sort of batttery life (shooting time) does it offer?

Thanks for your time guys.
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I use Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ tapes in all my DV style camcorders. I like the "dry lube" process Panasonic uses. I think the most critical thing is to not mix a lot of different brands.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Major Player

I had a JVC tape free with the Cam which I used and have now switched to Sony Premium (I hope thats not a problem?) TO be honest I cant tell any difference and Im not sure what if any it makes? I havent had any dropouts so far. I know Sony use "wet lube" and Im not sure what difference that makes. Well I have 20+ sony tapes now so I shouldnt need to change for a while

I bought the BP-315 too I think it nearly doubles the standard battery time.
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #4
New Boot

Has anyone tried the HDV tapes? I'm looking at the Sony tapes as they are cheaper than the Canon ones, but wondered if they are really needed / recommended or if standard miniDv tapes worked fine?
Jonathan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Major Player

miniDV is absolutley fine - (check out my samples on other threads)
HDV tapes were just designed to limit dropouts I think.
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Vaughan
Sorry to continue with the questions, but I'm just too excited about my Camera and just want to make sure I get the best accessories I can for it.

As I await the delivery, I was hoping you guys could help me pick out the accessories I need for my new Camera.

What type of MiniDV tapes are you guys using?
(I don't mind paying top dollar for the tapes.)

I'm also going to get the Raynox HD5050 WideAngle lens, but what about a telephoto lens (if possible)? Anyone using one on there Hv10?

And last but not least, what about the BP-315 battery...what sort of batttery life (shooting time) does it offer?

Thanks for your time guys.
I stick to the wide angle if I were you, You will get more use out of it.
With the Tele converter you will need a tripod for sure for steady shot.
I use the Canon recomended for this camera, no drop off in the corners or vignetting, I've seen previous reports on the Raynox HD converter does well in this Dept. also.

Stick to one tape brand, HDV or reg MiniDV.

Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson
miniDV is absolutley fine - (check out my samples on other threads)
HDV tapes were just designed to limit dropouts I think.
Yes, and the really funny thing about that is the only dropouts I've ever seen on HDV are from the 1 HDV tape I bought to try out! My advice is to stick with Sony mini DV tapes. Their quality is consistent and droput free.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #8
Tourist

Hi,

I use both Sony HDV (DVM-63HD) & TDK DVM-60ME cassettes. Didn't see a single dropped frame in any of them.

E.S.
Etan Shirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I use Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ tapes you can find at every CompUsa, CircuitCity, BestBuy, Ect.

also the battery if you go to BH they have a extended life 4 hour battery for the hv-10 made by impact for about 30 bucks a pop thats hafe the price of the energizers you can buy at retail stores.

check out my other post with footage i shot that with the tapes i use. just dont mix brands once you pick a tape stick with it.

AND don't buy the sony pack with the 2 tapes and the minidv cleaner. don't clean your heads unless you really need to. on there packaging they say to clean heads after every two tapes. don't do it!
Michael Ferreira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders