Playback options for non HD-DVD owners at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Playback options for non HD-DVD owners

Hey guys,

I about to buy my first video camera!! but first...

I want to be able to show off some of the HD capability of the HV10 to my father (who owns a very nice Sony HDTV). However, he does not have an HD-DVD player and all my attempts at converting the raw samples to standard DVD have resulted in horrible video quality.

I know that i can I hook up the HV10 directly to his TV and play from the tape, but I still want to be able to edit/cut the footage before I show it to him. Is there any way to somehow get an edited m2t back onto the tape from the computer?

Thanks very much, Happy New Year!!

-Derek
Derek Hunziker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Which editing program are you using? You should be able to convert(re-mux) from edited MPG2 to M2T (transport stream), then record back to camera... you shouldnt (?) lose video quality, just time doing the MGP2/M2T conversion, but you will lose metadata like date/timestamp...
this is my experience from Ulead MSPro/VS10+; Vegas & some others edit native M2T, might be able to record straight back to camera... not sure for mac/FCP..
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for your response! :)

I'm using Premiere Pro 2.0 which IMO sucks for encoding. I had a play with some of the m2t samples that people have been posting and I can import directly and edit them... I "think" I can also encode to m2t or "m2v" (whatever that is).

Will I need keep it in M2T format to record it back to the camera? Actually, I wasn't even sure that you could record stuff back onto the camera. Perhaps you can explain how this is done?

Thanks again for your help... my mouse pointer is hovering over the add-to-cart button at B&H photo. haha!

-Derek
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, you should be able to encode from an HDV editing timeline back to the MPEG2-TS format and record that back to the camera somehow. I've done that once using Canopus Edius but not Premiere Pro so I can't help you with the specifics.

For what it's worth, being able to play back edited material from the camera seems pretty handy to me - the camera is more portable than an HD-DVD player and you don't have to bother with the extra expense and hassle of using the player. Just be sure to keep track of the component connection cable which comes with your camera, as this may be a non-standard item which can't be easily replaced in a hurry if you don't have it with you.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:16 AM   #5
New Boot

Kevin,

I just found an (File->Export->Tape) option in Premiere but it's greyed out probably because I need the camera connected. This is a good sign for me. Thanks for your input and advice,

-Derek

P.S. Bay Area's in the house :)
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM   #6
New Boot

I would recommend Canopus Edius as well, great to export the finished video back onto the tape.
I have been able to burn DVD's and although it's been downscaled to SD the quality is still amazing :)
Don't have the money for a HD TV lol.
Jonathan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

For anyone who has a media center computer connected to their HDTV or HD projector (and no HD DVD player), would an external hard drive be a reasonable way to store edited HD video for playback? Seems like one way to buy some time, until the HD-DVD/Blue Ray dilemma resolves itself.
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #8
New Boot

NEC have released a hybrid chip which should help. It won't be too long before multiformat players are on the market
Jonathan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown
For anyone who has a media center computer connected to their HDTV or HD projector (and no HD DVD player), would an external hard drive be a reasonable way to store edited HD video for playback? Seems like one way to buy some time, until the HD-DVD/Blue Ray dilemma resolves itself.
That's definitely an option for someone who already has a media center PC, but few people seem to have them connected to their TV. Another possibility I just found the other day is a D-Link wireless video player which can pull HD files from your home network and play then via various connections to an HDTV. That way you don't have to have your computer in the same room as the TV, or worry about whether the computer is properly configured for HDTV playback. I saw this gadget at Best Buy for $199, which is a lot cheaper than any HD disc player.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
That's definitely an option for someone who already has a media center PC, but few people seem to have them connected to their TV. Another possibility I just found the other day is a D-Link wireless video player which can pull HD files from your home network and play then via various connections to an HDTV. That way you don't have to have your computer in the same room as the TV, or worry about whether the computer is properly configured for HDTV playback. I saw this gadget at Best Buy for $199, which is a lot cheaper than any HD disc player.
Yup- that type of HD media extender is probably best bet so far... I would not be sure wireless would hold up under HD file size streaming, but wired should be fine...
others have mentioned some of the networked or HD-capable DVD players (but not HD/bluray DVD), eg IOData Avel Linkplayer...
http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/p...=AVLP2%2FDVDLA
plays via usb, network, or HD files on (regular) DVD.

The option I'm hoping/waiting for, is for Tivo to enable the HD S3 to allow PC-to-Tivo file transfers again, and that it will support HD MPG2/MPG4...
Colin Gould is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders