Love My Hv10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Love My Hv10

I didn't think the HV10 would be as good as it is. Sure it is akward to hold, the settings are relegated to the menu, and it isn't the best in low light, but for the price, this is by far the best camcorder available.

It is as good as my XHA1 in good light (Sharper, but less dynamic range).

The colors are great and it will be a great b-roll for my A1. I am extremely impressed. It blows my gs500 image quality out of the water.

I would give this cam an A+ in image quality, B- in design, and a solid a on performance for price.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Wrangler

get a bogen 560B...your concerns about holding it will be solved....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Major Player

I have monopods and tripods, that I could easily mount it to when not doing handheld, but I will be using this primarily for handheld stuff, and as a deck for my XH-A1.

I am solidly impressed by this little machine. I can't wait for the HV20 to fix all of the little quirks.
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Wrangler

the 560B is called a monopod, but when you use it with an HV10, it is a tripod, monopod, glidecam, and flowpod all in one....the added weight smooths out camera shake and allows to to get smooth shots up stairs, through doorways, etc. you can get clean, ultra-high angle pans and overhead shots. this little device eliminates the need for any other stabilizers, with the HV10. seriously. and it weighs about a pound. the single best accessory for this camera. besides a polarizer. and a long-life battery.

okay, top three anyway!
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #5
New Boot

Meryem,

sounds cool! Care to share any sample footage?
Jim Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Wrangler

i posted some when it was first released. it's in this thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=hv10+desert

at the end of the footage, i posted a still photo of the equipment i used to get the footage. it was all shot with the HV10, except the stuff shot from the car, which was mounted on the little plastic velbon tripod, which i used one other time as well, because it was a windy day. one of the best things about the HV10 is the minimalist gear you can use and still get cool footage.....
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #7
Major Player

The purpose of this thread was not me asking about what monopod/tripod combo should I get. I was just commenting on how I like the camcorder, even though it has some design flaws and faults. A monopod may help overcome these small limitations, but it doesn't fix the HV10's shortcomings.
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
The purpose of this thread was not me asking about what monopod/tripod combo should I get. I was just commenting on how I like the camcorder, even though it has some design flaws and faults. A monopod may help overcome these small limitations, but it doesn't fix the HV10's shortcomings.

You tell 'em !!

How dare you people talk about tripods on Holly's thread !!! ;)
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #9
Major Player

WORD! Thanks for rallying the support!

Seriously, I didn't care about a monopod, just a small personal apprasial of the camcorder, which I enjoy, not third party accessories, which I already have.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm getting a 560b because of Meryem's post!

Sorry Holly! (hahaha)
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #11
Wrangler

a so-called "design flaw" is not a design flaw if there's an inexpensive, easy fix...

it was merely a suggestion, feel free to take it or leave it...but there's no need to get antagonistic about it.
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #12
Trustee

Holly,

I love my HV10 also but when you look more closely at the details on a high quality large screen HDTV monitor you will begin to notice its minor flaws compared to the XH-A1, even in bright light. You already mentioned one, dynamic range is obvious, but there is also some twittering going on along horizontal and vertical edges. Also if you zoom tight on a subject like a bird or squirrel in a tree with lots of out-of-focus foliage in the background, you can observe a slight background screen door effect from the bayer filter. If you shoot reflective highlights like glinting reflections off water, a lake or stream into the sun, the cross/star-shaped smearing is under much better control on the XH-A1 again owing to the lack of the bayer filter in front of the CCD.

You have to back down the saturation and contrast on the HV10 and increase them on the XH-A1 to get them to match.

The resolution of the HV10 and XH-A1 are equal from my testing on both cams using the Imatest MTF50/P spacial frequency reference software. I’ve done more extensive subsequent tests on both cams that yielded slightly higher results than what I posted in the forum but the conclusion remains the same, overall resolution is equal, with a slight advantage in the horizontal direction for the XH-A1 and a slight advantage for the HV-10 in the vertical direction.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....0&postcount=39

The HV10 is an overachieving dynamo in strong daylight. It goes more places, in the backpack, belt pouch, and draws practically no attention to itself.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #13
Major Player

Glad you love the HV10 too! It's a nice "pocket sized" HD camera and it does indeed capture some very nice HD quality footage. This camera has brought me into a world that was unaffordable to me before, but now I can capture great HD footage whenever/wherever I want for personal pleasure and I absolutely love that!

Now about that 560b... I want one of those!!
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Tom:

Nice post! I've been noticing a lot of that myself. It's nice to see it analyzed and verbalized in so succintly!

When I start to dwell on those things I just have remember to remind myself what the HV10 is.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

sende onlara soyle meryem! sende onlara soyle!
Owen Meek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders