What setting is best for SloMotion editing? Does the HV10 record 60 FPS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 4th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Major Player

What setting is best for SloMotion editing? Does the HV10 record 60 FPS?

I was reading in my HDV book by Douglas Spotted Eagle that 60fps is good for slomotion editing and was wondering if the HV10 records at 60 fps?

Also, what settings would be best for slomotion? I have applied some slo motion to some of my videos and they are real blurry with the moving image (flying bird).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If these guys ever do 720p60 cam at this level (which is 60 progressive frames per second) I'll be one happy camper! Right now we're getting 1080 60i which is 60 fields but only 30 fps (each field is 1/2 frame). Since I'm trying to use the HV10 for sports type shooting I'm fighting not only the HDV codec which doesn't handle motion all that well but the interlaced nature of the video as well.

Experiments transcoding to DVCPro 720p 60 and applying slomo haven't convinced me it's worth the extra time and effort to transcode at this point. I'm also playing around with HDV footage and retiming it in Shake (which has given just pristine slomo with 720p60 shot with my HVX200.)

The problem I'm finding is that not all HDV based motion footage compresses the same (when shot). Some will look fairly decent with reasonably low motion artifacts and then all of a sudden you hit the limit of the codec and it turns to cr@p (and retiming it just excerbates the problem). Once I develop what I find is the best overall workflow I'll be happy to put my .02 out there.

But I've got to think 720p60 HDV would still be better to work with then 60i. Doesn't one of the JVC cams shoot 720p60 HDV? If anyone knows how it handles motion over your garden variety 1080 60i HDV I'd love to hear about it.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My only experience in this is that 60i slows down better than 24p, because of the increase in sample rate (60 fields/sec instead of 24 frames/sec). Of course, this goes to the expense of image resolution because the fields only contain halve the vertical resolution. However, proper deinterlacing and maybe some sharpening manages to get the image 'acceptable', and you /do/ end up with 60 images taken per second. I guess in this process it helps to not slow down beyond 50%.
Pieter Jongerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Brad. the Sony's HC3/HC7 etc do 120fps (240 interlaced) for only 3 second duration that can be stretched to 12 seconds ultra smooth. but yeah.. 3 seconds.

the HVX200 gives all the option in the expensive P2 media.
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meek
Brad. the Sony's HC3/HC7 etc do 120fps (240 interlaced) for only 3 second duration that can be stretched to 12 seconds ultra smooth. but yeah.. 3 seconds.

But the quality of the Sony's slow-mo mode footage is terrible. :(
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #6
Major Player

I have found the best results for slow mo with the hv10 can be achieved by shooting at higher shutter speeds - 120, 250. Using Vegas I then time stretched the footage - worked pretty well - I put a thread on here about it with some samples a while back
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes, the HC3 I tested in the slo-mo mode did degrade the footage somewhat alarmingly. Of course if you need to shoot at 200 fps the camera has to open up by 3 stops, and this might mean shooting at +18 dB of gain up, which sure doesn't help.

But it's a bit like filtration. You go and 'tobacco' the sky with a deep grad and what have you got? You've got a shot that will take a great deal of work to 'undo'. But do it in post and you'll have peace and quiet, you'll be able to control the ramping, density and hue.

Same with slo-mo. Do it in post on normally shot footage and you can ramp where desired, go to whatever fps your heart desires for however long, and won't have sacrificed the original audio at the shooting scene.

These are early days for in-camera slo mo (as they are for intervalometer work) and in my view are more useful for shifting stock than for filmmaking.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Tom do you know if its possible to achieve a faithful recreation in subtle terms, under/over cranked look i.e. if the original pal footage is shot at 25p and is slowed down to 22fps or sped up to 28fps.

i hope that made sense.
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson
I have found the best results for slow mo with the hv10 can be achieved by shooting at higher shutter speeds - 120, 250. Using Vegas I then time stretched the footage - worked pretty well - I put a thread on here about it with some samples a while back
Thanks Fergus!

Nice samples and info.

btw, how are you liking your GlideCam with the HV10? Do you have any videos to share showing it in use?

And of course thanks to all of you for the replies, the information is well taken and noted!
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meek
Tom do you know if its possible to achieve a faithful recreation in subtle terms, under/over cranked look i.e. if the original pal footage is shot at 25p and is slowed down to 22fps or sped up to 28fps.

i hope that made sense.
Er - it didn't really make sense. ''recreation in subtle terms''? But of course any timeline worth its salt can slow down or speed up by those small amounts. A lot of people would be hard pushed to spot the change, though you'd have to keep the audio at 25 fps.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks Tom (lol) it was late..
Owen Meek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders