Just picked up an HV10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 7th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #1
New Boot

Just picked up an HV10

Yes, I know the HV20 is coming out.. that it'll be better.. yada, yada. But, I got a nice gig shooting stills in South Africa for a month and I leave this coming Tuesday... so, I didn't have time to wait for the HV20. Couldn't go without anything right? ;-)

Besides, I can just take a loss and sell this one when I get back and after the early adopters have already town into the HV20 looking for flaws.

Anyhow... in a mad rush to test this thing and figure out how to wrangle the bet possible image out of it. Do most leave the in camera processing levels alone and do it in post? Or tweak'em first?

I noticed my first test clips captured in FCP5 on a Mac OSx 10.4. Seem to be coming out 1888x1062 instead of 1920x1080. I thought this was supposed to produce a 1080i image? Why the odd size?

So far, really liking it. It's small enough to fit alongside my dSLR gear so I don't need to carry two bags and will always be armed for HDV footage without having to plan ahead. ;-)
Walter Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #2
New Boot

?

Ok, just the questions then... is the 1888x1062 normal for the HV10?

Better to shoot default color/sharp/contrast settings and adjust in post? Or, tweak them to liking first?

thx
Walter Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Looks like something on your capture setup... my footage is all 1920 x 1080..
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi!

My HV-10 also produces 1440x1080 (1920 x 1080 1,33 anamorph) *.m2t files.

By the way - the picture quality of the HV-20 seems to be pretty much the same like the quality of the HV-10. Mainly they just differ in the connectors (external microphone. i. e.) and the form factor.

However - if you leave for SA on next Tuesday, you will probably have no choice... ;-)

With best regards,

Oliver
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders