Canon HV20 review with pics. and movie footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #1
New Boot

Canon HV20 review with pics. and movie footage

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
Tony Corkovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I saw that page like a month ago. :)

The video with Cinema Mode and PF24 (ezsm3.mov) is badly out of focus and I think and hope that the camera can do better than all the videos on that page.

Look at the last shot in ezsm4.mov (the pan and the bicycle). What can be causing that stutter? It doesn't look quite right.

And does anyone else but me think that this screenshot looks awful: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...207/ez0175.jpg ??
Ron Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Ron, it does look awful.

loads of noise, which is consecutively heavily suppressed using some contrast threshold blur filter (if that's putting it properly). Also there are quite prominent sharpening artefacts.

I can't really imagine the cam doing this. I think someone spent a bit to much time in photoshop correcting for a noisy shot...

...or maybe some of the in-cam image processing settings were set to their extremes.
Pieter Jongerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Duplicate frames in ezsm3.mov

Hi Ron,

If you look at ezsm3.mov, frame by frame, every fourth frame is a duplicate.
Old March 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #5
Trustee

There's no reason the HV20 should have worse PQ than the HV10....in fact it should be as good or better in some conditions. I would put very little stock in those few frame grabs.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #6
Trustee

It isn't really fair to use the clips from that site to judge the quality.

1. The clips have been re-encoded to H264. This means we are not seeing raw examples from the camera. We do not know how well the clips were encoded and they could have been done very quick and dirty.

2. Clearly the clips didn't have the pulldown removed correctly. Whatever tool was used to remove the pulldown did a very bad job because some shots look ok while others clearly have the pulldown all messed up giving extra jerky video.

3. I don't know how many times it has been said now but the lens, DSP and chip are exactly the same as the HV10. They will look pretty much exactly the same.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders