HV10 weaknesses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #1
New Boot

HV10 weaknesses

So I've been doing a good bit of research, reading all the posts in here etc. I've really narrowed it down to the HV10 or 20. For what I'll be doing with it (family, amatuer hour etc), and with the few extra hundred I'll save going with the 10 (as opposed to the 20); the few things that are different, sound, HDMI aren't that important to me.

However, at first, I thought the lack of an HDMI port was a deal breaker, but then I played with one today and noticed the composite port. I've never seen this type of cable. How much information, if any, gets lost between using HDMI and the component cable? I'll be editing this stuff anyway, and while it would be occasionally nice to plug it directly in to my 50" plasma (HDMI), am I really losing that much without that port?

Secondly, once I get it in the computer and edited, is DVD the best method for viewing it widescreen? I'm afraid I'm completly new to this part of it. If it's edited in iMovieHD and burned to DVD, will it be 1080p or 720p?

Thanks!
Steve Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlow View Post
Secondly, once I get it in the computer and edited, is DVD the best method for viewing it widescreen? I'm afraid I'm completly new to this part of it. If it's edited in iMovieHD and burned to DVD, will it be 1080p or 720p?

Thanks!

DVDs are standard definition so will hold neither 1080i / 1080p or 720p.

To show footage in HD you will need a HD DVD (or Blueray) player / disc and burner.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It's debatable and subjective if there's really any picture quality difference between HDMI and component HD... mostly, it's more a matter of what plug your TV will support :) (for me, component, so I'm happy w/ HV10)

Since your HDTV has HDMI in, and is a digital display like LCD/plasma, especially if native 1080 res, HDMI may give a better picture. One cable is also a bit less hassle than the 3-wire component cable.

For viewing edited files, either put it back onto a new HDV tape and show it w/ the camera, or get some kind of HD media extender (like AppleTV etc.) or HD-capable networked DVD player that will play back your edited HD video files either via network from your mac, attached USB drive, or HD files on regular DVD-/+R. (eg some DVD players will play back WMV-HD files etc.)
These are around $300ish so still much cheaper than buying both a HD/bluray DVD burner, and matching playback drive. ($1000 each!)

I'm waiting/hoping my HD Tivo will finally enable PC file copy/playback myself since I already paid lots of money for that and it's certainly physically capable..
Colin Gould is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders