Will post HV10 and HV20 side by side shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Will post HV10 and HV20 side by side shot

but i need some help. I have both in hands now and would like to share some side by shots but I am new to hdv and dont know how to properly export it. Im on a mac using FCP. everytime i do it my mov's movie info say actual size: 1888x1062pixels. under format is say's 1920x1080(1888x1062). I have compressor installed as well. am i picking the wrong size option? Any help would be really appreciated to i can contribute back to the forum.

Thanks.
Alex Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Alex, how are you finding the autofocus of the HV20 compared to the HV10. Are you having the issues that a few others are having?
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi ya Ken. nope. seems to focus just like my hv10. no problems really at all.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Trustee

Ah man, THAT'S what I want to hear!!! I'll tell you Alex, the Instant Autofocus is, IMO, one of the most underrated aspects of these new Canons. I've had tons of camcorders, but I've never seen such a great autofocus mechanism as on the HV10.

So when I read these reports, I can't imagine why Canon would have messed with it. Thanks Alex and enjoy!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

1888x1062 acutally this pixel is fine...it dose not make big diffrence on 1920 x 1080 image..
would love to see the diffrence..
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Contributor

settings

not sure if you've figured it out yet to export, but here are some compressor settings, one at 6000k and the other at 25000k (dv's bitrate) both @ 1920x1080.

just unzip it on the your desktop and i think the aliased folder should work, just drag the presets onto it. otherwise there's a readme with the file path of where they should go.

let me know if that aliased folder works, i send settings fairly often to other editors, and it'd be nice if they could just drag and drop the files onto that included folder.

and my hv20 should be here any minute. at which point i'll be posting up some stuff too.

hope this helps
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:37 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi ya Austin, i think you forgot to attach the zip file. can't wait to check it out so i can post up some comparisons.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Contributor

here you go

always something....

http://file.meyersproduction.com/com...r-settings.zip
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Major Player

Alex,

Ideally, you don't need to recompress at all, if you're willing to put up fairly large files. (even if the clips are short!)

Use DVHSCap and simply capture raw m2t's from both cameras. 5 to 10 second clips is really all that's needed, (IMO) and the data rate for raw should be around 3.5 MBs.

You can find DVHSCap in the developer tools folder within OSX. If you didn't optionally install the firewire SDK kit, you can download from Apple.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #10
New Boot

not sure if anyone cares but the light on the hv10 is brighter.

still trying to figure out the size settings when compressing to h264 using quicktime conversion.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bowen View Post
not sure if anyone cares but the light on the hv10 is brighter.
Funny you say that. I checked that out last night in my kitchen and I really didn't notice any difference through the viewfinder. I'm wondering though if the better low light capability of the HV20 makes a less powerful light look the same. That might explain why it looked the same to me in the viewfinder. I didn't actually look directly at each light.
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #12
Regular Crew

when are u going to post HV10 and HV20 side by side shot ?
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #13
Trustee

I'm on a business trip now and can't do it. But I think I've already seen such comparisons posted....it was either that or the HC7 vs the HV20.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders