HV20 and Brevis35...first footage! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 26th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi Michael, don't worry for the spelling... Thanks for your answer ! Could you please explain the reason why you still prefer HVX200 ? The manual controls ? The gamma settings ? By the way, what do you think of the cine gamma of the HV20 ? It would be nice to see a comparison of the 2 settings in this little camera.
In the independant film-maker world you talked about, in which case you think the HV20 will have serious drawbacks compared to HVX200 ?

Thanks Michael !
Kristin Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schoenfeld View Post
hello all,

Michael Schoenfeld here,

The lenses I tested were focused without and follow focus devices - just my hand turning the lens, so I do know what an "in focus" image looks like, it's just mighty hard to get it with any consistency by hand. and These are fast shallow lenses! That being said they are very sharp wide open, and that is how I intend to use them.

Neat little combo - looks really odd though.

All the best,

Michael Schoenfeld
Michael,
Thanks for the tests -
One of the daunting things using a 35mm adapter on any of these HD cameras is the crucial ability to focus with the viewfinder/LCD.
It looked like you were able to get it quite accurate, however.

So how is the LCD for focus?
Thanks,
John
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #18
Major Player

John, I believe Michael did mention in his thread at the cinevate forum that he uses larger HD monitors for critical focus, and wasn't overly thrilled with the HV20 focus assist feature. I'll have the HV20 myself shortly and will be in a postion to at least compare it to the XH-A1.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schoenfeld View Post
I own two HVX 200's that create a better image than the HV20
Are you sure? Taken the pics seen all over the place, I wouldn't say that 960 x 540 can be better than a true higher resolution device like this small HV20 really is.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #20
Inner Circle

So it seems to me that this camera would take care of flip issue too. Set up your shot, then roll the cameral over and shoot upside down, or even learn to use it upside down. Seems like it might be light enough to hang of the back of the Brevis ? Comment from Mike or Dennis ?
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #21
Major Player

Chris, we already have a solution for inverted HV20 (or any other small cam) using our standard rails. It does not correct the LCD flip issue, but it will make monitoring with monitors like the Dell 24" LCD easier. Why doesn't an invert mount correct the onboard LCD? : http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/~smithdm/upside.html

External monitoring with the Marshall HD 7" LCD is something I've accepted as part of the work flow. Even with the external monitor, the XH-A1's output of magnified footage (using focus assist) to the external port is a welcome aid when testing very shallow DOF options for the Brevis. Hopefully the HV20 will do the same.

Rails mounting with the smaller cams is a good idea as their plastic chassis' tends to flex a bit when racking focus etc. Back when I was using the GS400 a lot, I used it rarely off rails. What I found is that the entire rails/adapter/lens/camera rig can come off the tripod and be used like a fig rig. We're waiting right now for carbon fibre tubing done to our spec, so the rails rig will lose some weight very shortly.
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Dennis:

Yeah, I tried it with my FX1 and saw the issue. I use a magnet right side up and that works, but still have flipped image.
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post
John, I believe Michael did mention in his thread at the cinevate forum that he uses larger HD monitors for critical focus, and wasn't overly thrilled with the HV20 focus assist feature. I'll have the HV20 myself shortly and will be in a postion to at least compare it to the XH-A1.
Hi Dennis

Please post some clips asap. :-)

Also, a lot of folks are curious if the achro is needed.

Regards
JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #24
Major Player

Ah, the achro. The HV20 surprised us by being the one and only 43mm lens camera that needs an achromat :-( None of the other SD/HD cams at 43mm or under have needed one. That said, we may be able to sneak by without one by tweaking the mount method. Until I get one in hand, I won't be able to comment further. According to the vendor, I should have the cam by next week.
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post
Kristin, he's using EOS lenses. They use a servo controlled aperture which is locked wide open unless the lens is mounted on an EOS SLR.
This is not true. There are lens mounts which offer aperture control. I can't recall the names of the two companies I found which offer these, but they are out there.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders