Is this from the camera or from Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this from the camera or from Vegas?

Just got my HV20 in on Friday and have mostly just been messing around with it a bit. I've got something showing up in the footage that I don't understand. It could be from the cam or from Vegas, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. (Used Vegas for the capture as well as for the editting).

Basically there is a square section of each frame which vegas won't apply effects against. Below is a sample screen cap showing the box.

http://www.szudzik.net/gallery/vegas/1.jpg

I was also testing the A/D conversion with it and something similar also occurs when applying any effect only instead of a small box, only the left 1/2 of the frames get the effect applied to them.

Any idea's what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Trustee

Steve, I don't use Vegas, but it sure looks like what happens if I use filters in my Edius Pro 4 and tell the program not to apply the effect within the box. I can't begin to see how it could have anything to do with the camera, it's got to be Vegas and some setting or approach you're not using correctly.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thats not camera, it has to be Vegas. Vegas does have a "before and after" setting to test filter effects in the preview window. It is applied from the preview screen as I recall. But this should not be sent to the final render. This has got to be something you applied in the filter application. Does it do the same thing when you adjust contrast, or something like that ?
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Your preview effects box must be checked. It's above the preview window as a circle split in half. You can chose how much of the preview window you see the effect on. If you click on it there are options.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, I'm 99.99% sure it has nothing to do with the camera as well (probably should have put this in the Vegas DL instead).

I'm new to Vegas so it totally could be something I've done but I haven't changed many settings in Vegas since I installed it (about a week ago). I pretty much just dragged my clip onto the time frame and applied the affect.

I had been doing this with some other HV20 posted clips (to practice and get familiar with Vegas) and hadn't seen this before. I just tried against one of those other clips and yup, I'm seeing this there too, so it must be something I've done in Vegas itself.

Guess I'm going to have to hunt this one down. If anyone knows what I could have done that is producing this, please let me know.
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn View Post
Your preview effects box must be checked. It's above the preview window as a circle split in half. You can chose how much of the preview window you see the effect on. If you click on it there are options.
Aha! Thank you Bennis. That seems to have done the trick. I do vaguely remember hitting that button on Friday (my hunt, peck and destroy way of learning new apps).

Back to learning this new cam then. Very nice footage from it so far. Still have lots to learn in order to use it properly.
--Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders