HV20 - is anamorphic possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 4th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1
New Boot

HV20 - is anamorphic possible?

Hello all,

Sorry for the re-post, but I wanted to get this question "visible".

If the imager is "native" 4:3 ratio at that 1920x1440 resolution, would it be possible to get THAT full image out of the camera via hdmi? I have a Lomo zoom lens from a Konvas 35mm movie camera that has a rear anamorphic adapter. I would love to be able to use this lens with a DOF adapter like the SGpro or Brevis. If that were possible.....ah, heaven.

Also, would 30p be possible using the HDMI?

I know the guys at reel-stream have the andomeda setup for the dvx100, and are currently working on a similar mod for the HVX200, but I'd prefer a cheap 4:3 "uncompressed" image that could be (presumably) used for amazing 2:35 ratio shots.

Are any of these things possible? The Red camera is just way too expensive, and modifying an HVX200 seems a bit scary (especially at the rate this technology is advancing!). Hell, by the time the modified HVX arrives, an HV30 could come out that is even MORE incredible.
Ilya Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You could use a 16:9 adapter in front of the HV20 lens. That would give you approximately 2:35 aspect.

As for the Lomo with 35mm adapter, you would get wider than 2:35, because of the 2x anamorphic + the 16:9 aspect.

The sensor on the hv20 is 1920x1080 native. It's unclear if the HDMI outputs 1440 or the full 1920 though. (Can anybody here find out about this?)
Solomon Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon Chase View Post
You could use a 16:9 adapter in front of the HV20 lens. That would give you approximately 2:35 aspect.
The problem there is no way to display this image on anything but a computer, as the image is doubly "squeezed." 2.35:1 DVD's are 16:9 and matted, not 2.35:1 native, as DVD's have no way to handle that information.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn View Post
The problem there is no way to display this image on anything but a computer, as the image is doubly "squeezed." 2.35:1 DVD's are 16:9 and matted, not 2.35:1 native, as DVD's have no way to handle that information.
Some people use anamorphic lenses on their projectors. Would this help display it properly?

Lots of people use HTPC's as well.

(Home Theater PC's)

Mike
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Wrangler

The advantage to this if you were framing for widescreen is that you are using the entire chip to capture a 2.35 image rather than letterboxing the 1.78 chip. Presumably in your NLE you would ultimately output it as an anamorphic 16:9 clip for DVD etc., but you would be working with more information to begin with which is always useful.

As Mike points out, using an anamorphic lens on a 16:9 projector will deliver an improved 2.35 image than the letterboxed alternative.
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon Chase View Post
The sensor on the hv20 is 1920x1080 native. It's unclear if the HDMI outputs 1440 or the full 1920 though. (Can anybody here find out about this?)
I believe the squeezing of 1920 down to 1440 is a process of the HDV codec. I would think the uncompressed feed should be the full 1920.

I also would be very interested to know if the full 4:3 chip could be accessed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders