HV20 questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 6th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 questions

I have 24 hours to decide whether to keep an HV20. I was only able to look it over and record 2 minutes before rushing off to work. I can't download a manual here or open the package containing the manual when I get home.

Could someone give me a link to the manual so when I get home, I can check. In case of problems (Life itself), I have a few questions concerning audio.

A friend lent me a small SONY mic with 1/8" plugin that fit nicely into the shoe. I'll try it tonight.

Should generally any plugin mic work? Must it be stereo or mono?

I assume when using I must switch from internal to external mic, right? How?

Do I need to turn off phantom power, and mics without phantom power do work fine in the shoe, right?

With headphones on, I found the motor louder than the HV10, and I could hear the zoom motor on fast zooms, not on slow zooms. An external mic shouldn't pick those sounds up, right?

It also seemed the instant AF was not so instant after a fast zoom, it took a moment and then focused, there was also a little beep each time I did.

Otherwise, I'm liking this camera, would just like to get squared away audio-wise.

best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Here's the link Wes:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14869

I'm a bit confused about that 'beep' you hear. I've never heard that and I'm not sure what setting the cam is in that's causing it.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Surprise, I was able to download the manual here! I'm shocked. Thanks, Ken.

Unfortunately, I'm also troubled because the manual seems to indicate I just plug in a mic and use it. I didn't see anything in the menu for switching from internal to external. I taped 2 minutes with the SONY mic (phantomless, but connected to the shoe), and if anything the noise was louder.

Could I be doing something wrong?

thanks,
elmer
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I believe I've now read enough of the manual so that my only concern is that, apparently, you just plugin a mic, without switching to external. Having captured 2 minutes with a little SONY mic, listening to it the noise seemed worse than without an external mic.
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

That is correct. The act of plugging in an external mic will automatically switch off the internal mic.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

HV10 footage, when quiet, hits about -36db.

HV20 w/o external mic, -30 decibels. HV20 w/ mic, -24db.

We're talking louder and louder.

I wonder what issues could be affecting the HV20 w/ mic: balanced, unbalanced; stereo or mono; the shoe itself? Hmm.

johnny baffled
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Trustee

Elmer, I'm not sure which Sony mike you're using, but if it's the little DS-70P, that unit is a dog! I bought one for a high quality digital recorder I bought for voiceovers, and I couldn't believe how bad it was. It has a terrible S/N ratio and made my onboard voice recorder mike sound like a $1,000 mike.
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, it's an ECM-MSD1, but it's a dog from the same litter!

I also tried my old Sennheiser MKE300. It was a little quieter but picked up the zoom with remarkable fidelity. ;) It's the best mic I have that's not xlr.

This is supposed to be my guerrilla/tourist cam and I'm not looking for incredible audio, just audio sans motor whistle and zoom grunge. Comparatively, the HV10 is way quieter. If it only had a mic input!

best,
elmer
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #9
Trustee

Elmer, one thing to keep in mind, in the quiet of a room you will pick up varying degrees of motor noise with any of these small cams. But (and it's a BIG but), these noises are essentially inaudible when out in the 'real world'. Just a thought.
Old April 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

That pretty much seems to be the case with my HV20. I've got the DM-50 mic for it and outdoors, I don't seem to pickup anything other than what I'd expect (no apparent motor noise or zoom noise). Indoors, I will occasionally hear the zoom a little but that's about it. I put the DM-50 on the instant I pulled the camera from it's box and haven't tried the built in mic at all.

Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Steve what sort of battery times are you getting when using the mic? I am interested to know if it has much of a drain on power?

Cheers

Last edited by Fergus Anderson; April 8th, 2007 at 10:09 AM.
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I haven't yet shot long enough to drain my battery completely. I picked up the larger BP-2L14 when I got the camera and so far that's the only one that I have used.

The longest sequency that I shot was a 15 minute clip of my kids playing in the sprinklers. After that shot, I played the footage back for capturing. The battery meter was still reading at least 75% charge though.

Steve
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Szudzik View Post
That pretty much seems to be the case with my HV20. I've got the DM-50 mic for it and outdoors, I don't seem to pickup anything other than what I'd expect (no apparent motor noise or zoom noise). Indoors, I will occasionally hear the zoom a little but that's about it. I put the DM-50 on the instant I pulled the camera from it's box and haven't tried the built in mic at all.

Steve
Thanks, Steve for the info.

I'm interested in a mic. Do you know how that DM-50 compares to the RodeVideo mic?

best,
elmer
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I couldn't answer for the comparison. I'm still very green when it comes to much of this. The only equipment I've got is the HV20, DM-50 and my first video cam (Sony TRV37).

Steve
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I compared the Rode to the DM50 on my GL2 and the Rode was quieter (less motor noise) due to I think the fact that the DM-50 is hardmounted to the camera and therefore more susceptible to vibration transmission. The Rode sounded quite good, actually. It's mono though, not stereo (if ambience is important to you.)
Dale Baglo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders